FF7 Modding

Okay, so first off I assumed there'd be a modding category under games.... but I'm not seeing one, so I'm putting this down here, since the game is rather older.

Potatoes done! Meat!

So I've been looking into playing FF7 again. I never finished it, and I wanted to go back to it, finish it, maybe complete it. Since I have it on Steam, that's easy...

Being such a big fan of mods, however, I figured I'd ask the community here if there are any really good mods for the game that I should take a look at, maybe install before beginning my playthrough.

I really like immersion, so graphics are good, but cheats or bald reference stuff is bad. Further, major changes to the story are probably unwise, being that I've never finished the game, but the other side of that coin is that fixing of errors and things is of course nice. Other than that I don't really have much in the way of preferences.

I've honestly not meddled with this title before. I've spent hundreds of hours modding and then playing the likes of Skyrim, FO3, New Vegas, KSP, Minecraft, and others, since falling in love with the idea of making my games 'better'.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I know it is kotaku but don't eat me.

In total this adds 20GB of mods to bring up the visual quality a ton.

After you have read that here is the video tutorial on how to make it all happen.

Its also got a wicked cool cover of the game music playing over the video.

3 Likes

@Zibob Do you taste like candy, or something? (Must've forgot to hit reply properly)

... Also, why must it break Steam Achievements? I like Steam Achievements.

No people just don't like kotaku much.

It probably breaks achievements because the newer versions are a re release of the originals with some stuff added in, like achievements. The original never had them. The re release is almost identical but for the online activation with square enix and the achievements. There are probably a few others. But the modding tool was made for the old version.

Dammit. I want those gorgeous visuals, but I like achievements. Hm.

Ok, so I decided to go ahead and do this. Achievements are, after all, secondary, and if I really enjoy the game I can play it again in a "Vanilla" state to get them.

Any suggestsions on the Bootleg preset, as I torrent the huge-ass modpack?

(And I realize people dislike Kotaku, I was just trying to make you laugh)

That remix playing during the tutorial is EPIC