Few Very Important Tips on Linux GPU Drivers

Just want to add that convetional Windows thinking will not apply to Linuxland. Because newer is not always better!
Most drivers are included in the kernel or as kernel modules. And the latest windows driver versions, with nvidia in particular, are not really equivalent to the latest linux version as the whole way drivers work on linux is quite different.
For those gaming on linux, the current steam optimized version of nvidia drivers is 331.13 (sudo apt-get install nvidia-331) dont try to use the newer ones from the xorg-edgers repository. I used version 346 for some testing purposes and they will explode in your hands from time to time. Only When they work better than the current ones, they will be pushed into the default ubuntu repositories. I'm note sure about the Amd radeon drivers (never had a recent post ATi radeon card) but there seem to be quiet a few issues with their open drivers, that has me prefer nvidia cards for linux. Other than that the only reasons to check for new drivers online like with windows is only for obscure/super new network adapters, graphics cards and super special or obscure devices such as the leap motion or head tracking rigs where you are going to have to install some non standard packages or compile from source.

ok, I was suggested "How Linux works", I'll check it out.
So I just install what I can install, and how do I move my saves? @turin231 is save cloud active by default? if not I use Wine, ok. I suppose playing modded new vegas would be too much atm, right?
Steam gave me this warning "opengl not using direct rendering" is it a problem? I searched on google but I only get answers I cant understand. sorry for the ignorance, thanks 4 the help

What distro are you using?

ubuntu 14.10

Close Steam, fire up the Terminal and type this in

find ~/.steam/root/ ( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" ) -print -delete

Restart Steam and try again.

syntax error near unexpected token `('

It's missing a few slashes, that's why. Here's the direct link to the command so you can copy the whole thing properly.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Steam_runtime_issues

a 1000 thanks.
now I'm gonna to get going with games, hopefully steam cloud will sync automatically my save files for linux supported games, dont know about games that I'll play with wine. is modding easier or tougher/ can I move the mods I had on w7?

I honestly cannot tell you what to expect for modding WINE installed games. I suspect it might be harder.

@leosky
For the new games, most of the ones that work with Linux are on Steam. You should be able to run the older ones through WINE (PlayOnLinux).
Some saves work on Linux, some don't. For Steam, you should have your saves on SteamCloud. For example the (cloud) ones from Europa Universalis 4 work, but the ones from Borderlands 2 don't. It might be an issue with the cloud and not save files.

ok thanks, so if now I install hotline miami 2 I should automatically have the old save I made on windows, cool. I'm gonna try Wine.
maybe you know it: can I play modded games with wine?

Like I said, it depends on the game - Steam and Linux have no problem with that. I don't know about WINE, but you can mod (native) games on Linux. Some mods work, some don't, some work but have performance issues.

ok, right.
Last noob question: I'm about to install hm2, it tells me the available disk space is around 9000MB (?). I made the partition for ubuntu 25GB big, what happens when I run out of it, do linux programs I install get all mixed up with windows'?

The partition that you made for Ubuntu is separate from the partition that's running Windows. So no, your games or files will not be mixed.

then what happens when I run out of space in the ubuntu partition?

WIthout third party drivers my 550Ti would cause system freezes. However, an AMD card had no issues.

So in general if you are going for a Linux build you should go AMD.

You'd need to extend the partition from the Live CD (Gparted) therefore taking more space away from Windows or install the Liinux distrobution onto a bigger hard drive.

I dont know how to do that...is it difficult? to extend the partition I mean

Nah. If your install isn't encrypted you'd boot up the Ubuntu install disc and select 'Try Ubuntu'. Find the Gparted program and extend your partition (shrinking your Windows one). Accept the changes and give some time to move things about.

Just make sure to defragment Windows first and delete any extra files you don't need there. Leave Windows 10GB free space or more when shrinking to avoid it messing up.

Almost everything you asked about was answered i guess. One last thing about the saves. You can take the saves from windows and place them in the folder that wine (if running the game with wine) creates for your game (which is actually a windows virtual hard drive).

Also you should use wine through playonlinux. Otherwise its a much more involved process.