Feeling inspired and need advice

Would appreciate inside information from IT workers in bigger companies and freelance IT technicians and consultants. But anyone and everyone is welcome to chime in.

How are companies ordering cables?

• Do companies order a 1km cable and then cut as they need and assemble on point? I imagine for the long stretches, they do just that.
    But what about shorter cables, for example 20m and less? What about those inside the racks connecting different switches, bridges, servers and eventually PCs?

• Is it common practice for a company to just hire an IT service and lay it all on them, and then troubleshoot with them when something goes awry?

• I read a topic a couple of weeks ago about IT/networking consulting. Can someone elaborate about what this entails and if IT and Networking are mostly intertwined or is networking separate and IT does troubleshooting?

• Is Cat7 cabling still viable to get into or should I just go ahead with Cat8 since it’s starting to become more available (is it?)? What about Cat6a and Cat5e? What about fiber optic cables? Cat5e seems cheap to buy almost everywhere and could be sold to private customers inexpensively but they’re all over the place as it is?

And finally, what do I need to research next? What questions do I need to ask myself and potential clients? I want to send samples of what I’d be selling and I also have a vague idea as to how to grow later on.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: added fiber, and corrected formatting. I love how easy formatting is in this forum.