Fedora with Nvidia proprietary drivers = moving windows around screen tearing? Where's Vsync?

Hi all, doing this on a 1080Ti and feels a bit ridiculous that there’s screen tearing/jerkiness. I’m on a 60Hz panel at 4K (Dell p4317Q).

Appreciate pointing towards a solution please - thanks!

It’s not so much tearing but just not as fluid compared to when I’m in Windows 10.

From Arch, but should still be relevant iirc; https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Avoid_screen_tearing

Fyi @bsodmike, you can do the above in nvidia-settings with a mouse click.

X-Server-Display > Advanced > Force Full Composition Pipeline

2 Likes

Have you set the Power mizer to Maximum yet? I get no tearing. What driver are you on?
also the Vsync check box is ‘Sync to VBlank’

2 Likes

Whatever you’re comfortable with. Either nvidia-settings creating your xorg.conf or modifying an existing xorg.conf with the composition pipeline line.

Thanks all - I enabled both the full composition Pipeline and also tweaked performance as per @Hammerhead_Corvette’s excellent screenies. Will reboot to check…

Edit:

Not seeing much of a difference having made the above changes; if a window is dragged quickly enough, there is some ‘tearing’/lag.

Reports the display is running at 60Hz. I’m on Fedora 28 now.

-> % nvidia-smi
Mon May 21 07:45:23 2018       
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 396.24                 Driver Version: 396.24                    |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce GTX 108...  Off  | 00000000:42:00.0  On |                  N/A |
|  1%   52C    P0    64W / 280W |    168MiB / 11173MiB |      1%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

Post reboot I have to manually reset ‘Prefer Maximum Performance’… can this be set as default in the xorg.conf?

The issue is far worse with Google Chrome, which lags/tears more than others, say a gnome window is almost lag free. Tears a bit at severe shaking…

Q: where did you get the driver from? Negativo17 or rpmfusion ? Just curious…

You can set to ‘Prefer Maximum Performance’ in: /etc/X11/xorg.conf with su - privlages
scroll to Section Devices and add:

Option "RegistryDwords" "PerfLevelSrc=0x3322; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1"

1 Like

It’s Nvidias crappy drivers. I have had issues since 390. Nothing yet that fixes it for me permanently. Im getting myself a cpu and mobo so i can use my 7870 because im tired of this shit.

Someone should try posting Nvidia about this. I tried looking how to complain to Nvidia, but the website they have plus earlier customer support experiences i don’t want to go through that again.

Sorry for the useless rant. :stuck_out_tongue:

See the solution I found for screen tearing with nvidia’s proprietary drivers: The small linux problem thread