Fedora or Ubuntu? (Let the war begin)

Neither they're both shit use arch.

Fedora owing to the same reasons Eden cited but that both pretty much what an average/average-advanced user needs. that said, compatibility compared to windows can get a bit frustrating if one hasn't spent enough time on linux already.

1 Like

I understand, I'm using a AMD 8370, I'd like to build a new system and hand-down my old box to my wife so she can get use to using Linux on a daily basis, I'm also debating a Ryzen system (towards the end of summer) but if they do not address the IOMMU group issues I'll build a dual Xeon system instead, 8 core 16 thread Xeons used are plentiful, cheap, and more than capable for the task even with the older chipset (X99) and slower clock speeds.

The idea of having 16 cores and 32 threads to spread around is really appealing, it brings a lot of powerful possibilities in the environment I'm using my system and the option to give a whole processor to KVM instead of virtual cores/threads split off of the CPU the host is using, it's never really been a issue but I can't help but think it would end up being more powerful on both sides.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just sharing a little background as options..... :relaxed:

1 Like

I have not used Fedora in a long time, but I always hear great things about it. As for Ubuntu, I haven't used it since 2011, I was a Ubuntu user since 7.04, but I couldn't deal with the unity desktop and bailed over to Mint. I am currently using Mint 18 now and it is alright for my needs.

But I think currently Ubuntu has the better knowledge base/ help forums for new users. So I think this one is the easiest one to get into. But I would test drive them both by making a couple live USB's.

Oi you copied my setup :D. I do exactly what you do and chose Fedora because you get newer kernel versions much faster. My TS3/TF2/Xonotic/Gmod/Nextcloud server runs Ubuntu server as well.

1 Like

Let me put it this way, anything but Canonical! I use Debian myself, but never ever Ubuntu.

They sell this T-shirt for a good reason.

3 Likes

I love that shirt! But the canonical-allergy is rational though. I don't trust them to make anything other than spyware, and their disrespecting of RMS has firmly put them in my "never ever" list.

1 Like

Fedora !

Ban me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Are you bored? is that why you resurrected this thread?

This bot is best bot @MichealCarrick your demise is imminent.