Fedora or Ubuntu for workstation?

What’s your point? That the cost of spares ISN’T a lot more than the total for a new machine? Because that’s clearly the case.

Do i agree with that? No, not really. But it is what it is, and it is not unique to the all-in-one PC industry.

No, you still have to. You just choose not to, either because you never knew you needed to do this (most common), or you’re just stubborn.

No, I don’t. The machines still perform just fine. You choose to do it for whatever reason, but I have an entire fleet of 900 machines (PCs) where this never gets done for the life of the machine - which is up to 5 years. It is not “normal use”.

edit:
And thats the last i’m going to engage you on the subject.

And they will. So long as you have thermal headroom. But once the paste dries, you will see an increase of the temperatures under load.

If you use the lame stock heatsink they give you not, then if you ever push your CPU doing anything more than web browsing you will likely hit high 80’s degree Celsius; and enter thermal throttling territory.

As does my organization. Often, I’ve changed the thermal paste in servers as well because every else where I work was too stupid to pop off the heatsink and see the gray crust needed changed. Once changed, oh hey the servers aren’t thermal throttling anymore!

Just because you ignore the problem doesn’t magically make the problem go away; it is still there.

Ok. :peace_symbol:

1 Like