Fedora 36 kernel 5.18.5 and ZFS

in defense of arch. Its much more bleeding edge than fedora a lot of the time but I agree with you completely. They like to have 6 month point releases of the latest stable and tested packages. Its a good release cycle and LTS just doesnt fit into their premise and “objectives” that is also in their documentation.

I got to Fedora cause Ubuntu forced browser snaps down my throat and had some minor graphics artifacts on xfce when waking up monitor.

I remember that. It was tough for a lot of people. I did not like the move because I did not think snaps were there yet. Now ive heard they got a ton better as of 21.04. I cant give you solid information on that though because I have no tried it.

Fedora is an awesome distro. Ill never really say its not one of the best ones to choose.

2 Likes

I solved the fedora ZFS thing, by running it in a vm on top of proxmox (plus edge kernel) which handles ZFS instead. Not quite what you wanted, but it gets the job done and is stable.

At least once you’ve made the struggle through it the first time around.

2 Likes

#LinuxLyfe

That literally is the life of dealing with linux. There are great struggles occasionally but once your done and document how you got through it. Its no longer presented as an obstacle

i have a couple fedora machines I run zfs on and ive learned over the years that you wait for the zfs release that supports the next kernel you can update to.

If I already updated before i realized i shouldnt have… I use grubby to set the boot kernel to the last working kernel.

ZoL released 2.1.5!

2 Likes

The menu entries are located in /boot/loader/entries/

Cheers!