Fedora 31 - virsh - pci - permissions

Hi! Thanks to this forum I am now using Fedora + ZFS + virtualized Win10/OSX.

My topic is, that I can not start any of my virtual machine where I use PCIE pass-through vith virsh. BUT they start without errors when i use virt-manager.

In a nut shell:
• VM with PCIE/pass-through GPU
• start in virt-manager: o.k.
• start with virsh:

Fehler: Domain Windows_10_[vfio] konnte nicht gestartet werden
Fehler: Failed to open config space file ‘/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:0b:00.0/config’: Permission denied

My user is in the following groups: wheel, kvm, qemu, libvirt, libvirtd

Can you please enlighten me on where to change permissions /
what to do to have sufficient permissions?

Are you running virsh start as root?

2 Likes

Hi, actually I want to run it in my user account :slight_smile: (as it is working with virt-manager in the normal account.) And no unfortunately it is also not working with sudo (I just tested it). Hmm… now I really do not understand what to do.

Info:
$ sudo virsh start Windows_10_[vfio]
[sudo] Passwort für thomas:
Fehler: Abruf der Domain ‘Windows_10_[vfio]’ scheiterte

No idea then.

See, you need root permissions to edit the sys/bus/pci/devices stuff, so if it works under virt-manager, there must be some sort of privesc happening to allow you to edit that, and virsh should be feature compatible. I really don’t know what to say.

You might be able to make a udev rule to change the permissions of GPUs, own them to the libvirt group or something. I’m not really sure though

I have seen Linux users get confused by the libvirtd system and session channels. One guy even configured his virtual machines twice, pointing at the same virtual drive.

virt-manager defaults to system. Double check what virsh is defaulting to because it might be session.

The session channel uses your user credentials.

1 Like

THANK YOU!!!

I have now one extra line in my .bashrc :

export LIBVIRT_DEFAULT_URI=“qemu:///system”

As you said, virt-manager and virsh were using two different channels.

1 Like