Fedora 31 Gnome Interface "locking up"?

I’m having a bit of a weired Problem atm. I installed Fedora 31 on my Work Notebook. So far, so good. Everything is working as intended but:

• On login, Mouse and Screen Freeze for several seconds
  • On Random occasions the system will “freeze”. Mouse won’t move, inputs not register and the screen won’t update.

I can consistently reproduce this when i recieve messages in Microsoft Teams (flatpak electron wrapper), and have also seen it happen when something intensive is going on in the terminal.
Additionally, moving Windows around is really “jittery”. Other animations are smooth (activities, scrolling, changing workspaces).

I’m running an i5 Dell Latitude 5500, i5 8265U upgraded to 16G of RAM with Intel UHD600 Graphics.
I run three 1080p Display, two through a USB-C Docking station one through HDMI directly attached.

Could this be The docking station not getting enough bandwidth if the CPU is under high load? I’m really confused by this behavior. If you need more info, i’m happy to provide/test what ever you want.

Some updates:

• Gnome on X seems to be better than Wayland on first start. After locking the screen once, we’re back to that problem i had before
  • I wanted to give budgie a try, stable isn’t available and git version plain fails to start with a “unrecoverable error”. Not sure what’s up with that.

Not sure if it’s relevant, but when booting Manjaro on a desktop setup I had the same lockup on the lockscreen on first boot. Would stick for ~10 seconds before letting me have control. Turns out my Xbox controller + Xbox wireless receiver where drawing too much power during boot and didn’t initialize, so the UI froze until it could initialize properly.

Funny thing is it never happens in Windows and also never occurred on a Kubuntu install on the same machine. But maybe something in you USB-C docking station requires “high” power that’s causing it to not initialize first try.
What have you got plugged into your docking station other than you’re 2 displays? Have you tried booting without it plugged in and seeing if the problem persists?

I’m not sure really. For now i solved it like any sane person would. By installing Plasma :wink:
So far, haven’t had any of those Problems in KDE. I’ll go back to troubleshooting this when i’ve got some time at work.

My docking station has it’s own Powerbrick and charges the notebook, so i doubt Powerdraw at the docking station would be a Problem. Basically, anything is connected to it. LAN, two USB Hubs (in Monitor), USB Headset. Mouse is connected directly to the Notebook, so… No clue if this means anything.

1 Like

I might have ran into this issue with Ubuntu 19.10 just today… so maybe we talking bout some new GNOME bug?

Certainly possible. Even if i like gnome very much, at the moment, Plasma is just more usable for me.
I’m totally willing to troubleshoot this though. Since the bug reporter isn’t working as well, i wouldn’t even know where to report this. I’ll try to see how i can reproduce this reliably without external influence. Opening a Bug-Report on Gnome without having any kind of log would probably be fruitless.

I’ll also look into that.

If I can reproduce the error I’ll try to log it

Tho I’m more inclined to just never let it sleep again