Fedora 29 Suspend Issues

I’d like to have a reasonably stable workstation even if it requires purchasing new hardware or installing a different distro or OS. I was running Windows 10 on this and it was pretty stable. I just had some weird audio and network driver issues.

Here’s a list of my current hardware.

I have Fedora 29 installed as the only OS right now and it’s relatively stable, but there are some issues I’ve been chasing down without any resolution in sight.

• I couldn’t boot the Fedora 29 USB with my AMD card installed. I had to swap in an old NVIDIA card to get any graphics output during install and selecting “Basic Graphics” wasn’t working as well. (This doesn’t really matter now that it’s installed.)
  • My system intermittently freezes, typically, when it’s been idle. This really only happened when I was running some Java WebStart using IcedTea I needed for work.
  • I CAN’T EVER suspend, it won’t wake back up. I’ve updated my kernel to (a self-built, if that matters) 4.20. Updated my BIOS to the latest provided by MSI. Turned off AMD Cool’n’Quiet and set “Power Supply Idle Control” to “Typical Current Idle”. I’ve changed my RAM timings between the two XMP profiles as well as setting it to auto and 2666.
  • Occasionally when booting up I’ll see the MSI logo then my monitor says there’s no signal, but I can SSH into my system without issue. (I heard someone had a similar issue whenever the kernel got updated, but there’s was fixed with 4.19.9-300.fc29 and mine wasn’t.)

I’ve been attacking these from so many angles. I’m not sure if Ryzen still has issues with suspend on current versions of the kernel, most places I’ve read point to it being fixed in like 4.15. So I’m not sure if there’s some hardware problem/incompatibility or if I should be trying more BIOS/Software fixes.

Any help is appreciated.

It’s not much help but I suspended and resumed on ryzen on 4.19.11 today. It’s not something I do much (ever), I did it on accident today. I’m using an nvidia card with proprietary nvidia drivers.

It pains me to say this, but with intel graphics I’ve found suspend to be solid on a couple of different notebook computers.

I wonder if some of your issues stem from wayland. I think fedora defaults to it (and you can see if you’re running by running ‘echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE’ from a terminal, it will spit out either ‘x11’ or ‘wayland’). You should be able to force it off wayland by picking the right thing at login, or by editing your gdm config to disable wayland.

1 Like

I tried suspend with both Wayland GNOME and Xorg GNOME. Both don’t come back up after going into suspend. And actually it completely loses network connectivity, no status lights on my switch even though wake on lan should be enabled.

I have a RX480 and the more recent kernels need amdgpu.dc=0 on the grub config. Adding that to the USB boot option might let it work.

1 Like

I’ve run Fedora 29 and several other releases before that on both Intel and AMD chips with little or no issues. AMD video cards – a 580 and a Vega 64 here – are trouble free. My Nvidia card can be problematic, especially running KDE (on any distro).

While Fedora is likely to incorporate fixes for new hardware faster than all but a few rolling distributions, it remains a fact that life is easier on Linux if you use last year’s hardware and avoid newly released hardware.

Any hardware components that are tweaked by the vendor in some way to boost Windows performance may work better on Linux if those tweaks are disabled.

Probably best to avoid seeking a performance boost by tweaking the BIOS per guidance aimed at Windows. Reset the BIOS to its default state, test, and go from there, carefully. Ditto RAM timings, etc.

Try disabling suspend/blanking of the display, while retaining suspend of the system, and see how that goes.

The Fedora kernel is not the default kernel, so if you’re building your own it probably does matter.

I have a similar system setup as you do but not as severe. I had Fedora 28 running before, since I upgraded to Fedora 29 I am noticing similar issues as you do. When suspending to memory on Fedora 28 suspending wasn’t an issue at all and worked flawlessly. Now when I suspend to memory and certain applications like Firefox are running when I suspend, on the restart of the system it either hangs on one core with a 100% load freezing Firefox, which I’m able to solve by killing the process or is sometimes hard locks the system completely with no other choise than resetting the computer. All in all it seems to me that there is an issue within the process scheduling after a suspend.

Do I have a solution? No, certainly not. But I’ll keep an eye on the issue and will observe it further.

I’ve completely reset the UEFI’s settings and reinstalled Fedora 29, but it’s still having issues with suspend and it’s still locking up with automatic suspend disabled if left alone for several hours.

I’d like to stay on Fedora 29 if possible. Is it possible to read logs or kernel messages after I’ve reset the system?

Not trying to double-post, but it seems like a recent system update fixed the system’s inability to come back from sleep. Now my system seems to be intermittently locking up, but that’s a separate issue and will warrant a new thread if I can’t figure out what’s causing it.

Logs are in /var/logs/. There’s a Gnome Logs app that’s a front end to view them,

Install “dconf editor” if it isn’t already and poke around looking for power, sleep, and timeout settings.

I have two systems and on one of them, but not the other, Ubuntu Gnome suspends and resumes OK but the display does not return either from suspend or after simply being blanked. Turns out there is an Ubuntu-specific setting exposed by dconf-editor that enables this timeout to blanking that’s on by default. I don’t need screen blanking so I turn it off.

I’ve found suspend and resume support to be quirky on Linux for a long time, and it varies for me depending on hardware, including the display in use. (I owned one monitor that had its own timeout setting buried in its cumbersome onscreen settings tool that overrode any setting in any Linux or Windows.)