Fedora 26, Ryzen 7 1700, GTX 1070

Yeah freezing the kernel isn’t best practice, it’s just a tradeoff to prevent breakage with proprietary drivers.
There’s many ways to skin a cat, I’ve had too many screw-ups with automatic updates that wouldn’t even work with previous kernels, so I prefer doing it manually to prevent any unfortunate surprises, but each to their own.

I think for now I will just do manual updates to the kernel and driver.

Thanks for all your input.

Hey bud! I used to have issues with Fedora (and Debian!) and nVidia cards.

When you get to the boot menu “Test this media” and “Install Fedora 26”, press “E” on your keyboard. Go to the line that ends with “quiet” or “quiet splash” and add “nomodeset” at the end, without the quotes.

So it would be something like:

linux /boot ... ro quiet splash nomodeset

Press Control and X or F10 to boot into the live CD. Install to the hard disk.

I find this guide to be pretty comprehensive. Please note! You will need the “tested” version. I have Fedora 26 with nVidia 384.69 and it is working beautifully!

https://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/

Someone posted this earlier, be sure to follow it to the T, including after leaving multi-user mode! You will need to follow the final steps to get graphics acceleration working properly.

Sometimes I will run

sudo nvidia-settings 

to change X Server Display Configuration > Advanced > Force Full Composition Pipeline and OpenGL Settings > High Performance

On the X Server Display be sure to Apply first and then Save to X Configuration file. If there isn’t one or the field is blank, close out of nvidia-settings and enter

sudo nvidia-xconfig

and repeat the settings above.

Hopefully this helps you on your journey! Fedora is probably my favorite distro.

1 Like

I ended up basically doing exactly as you described and it worked out perfect. I’m happy running fedora and really like it so far. It feels so light and uncluttered.

Looks like the only pain is going to be kernel updates and my drivers but it’s not a big deal if I need to install them again every so often.

1 Like

Personally, when I use Fedora with NVIDIA graphics, I just use this guide: https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA from rpmfusion (https://rpmfusion.org/). It has all the stuff that Fedora doesn’t ship with like vlc, ffmpeg and VirtualBox. Also updates the kernel module on kernel updates.

:raised_hand: High five!
:fist_right: :fist_left: Fist bump!
:crazy_face: Whichever you prefer!

Glad to hear it’s working for you! Fedora is definitely my favorite distro. I used to have to fight to get VMware working, but I’ve moved onto pure QEMU now lol. What I recommend is keep that nVidia download (or periodically check that if not true site), and if you experience a graphics anomaly or screen tearing after an update, you can repeat stage 3 and it will generally offer to reinstall broken or missing packages. That has only happened twice, the recent bit updating from 25 to 26 (which was a stellar, painless process btw).

Stage 3 is pretty simple:

systemctl set-default multi-user.target
reboot
./NVIDIA-blah
systemctl set-default graphical.target
reboot

Adjust nvidia-settings as you see fit :smiley:

Huge breakthrough, though. Welcome to the Fed-Club :wink:

First rule of Fed-Club is… :angry:
Tell everyone about Fedora Club! :laughing:

I will take a look at it. Looks like it would be a nice one stop solution!

Thanks!

Why not both!

It seems fairly easy to just reinstall the driver if things get weird. I’ll keep that handy and just reinstall when ever an update causes issues.

I really appreciate the help!