Fawkes GOLDEN RX480/580 upgrade bios ( XFX GTR (s) ) *V2*

Thanks for the quick reply, I am using an XFX GTR BE RX480.
Good to know the voltage thing is normal.
I am going to focus on good case airflow and replacing the thermal paste to keep the temps down.

The reason I was talking about 25mhz steps is that everyone seems to overclock their cards in these steps and I think I've also read about it somewhere. It would explain that 2020 is completely fine and just 5 mhz more results in lots of errors. This isn't actually a problem though, just something I've noticed.

The only problem left is the fan speed bug then. Not sure if it's related to the bios or drivers. For now I'll fix it by using Afterburner to control the fan speeds.

Thanks

you're using the right gpu that's good.

that's because all poeple have ocd of some sort. 25 looks and feels nice, also 25*4 = 100Mhz (quadrupel data rate)
While 20*4 is 80Mhz (just not that nice of a number to look at)

Bios seems to work fine with everyone else.
So probaly a driver problem or hardware.

you're very welcome!

i used this bios and get a better power consumption while idle. but way worse power comsumption while benchmarking and in game(+20-30% watts) on the same clocks(tested 1340 and 1400). is it supposed to use more power per clock or am i missing something?

edit: im using the xfx rx 480 gtr be with 70.7% asic

That's normal behaviour.
The core uses whatever power it needs and can get.
and since it can get more power with the 580 bios it takes it to become even more stable.
You can turn down "power limit" in radeon settings if you don't want that to happen.

i tried that but it seems that its more unstable than the 480 bios while at still higher wattage (crashing in fire strike at 130w while 480 bios can do it at 110w just fine)

than your GPU might just not be able to handle 580 bioses.

Just flashed the v2 BIOS on my XFX GTR 480 (non-BE) and whenever I try to run FurMark, the system crashes after seconds and the fans go full mayhem (read speed) and I have to shut down the whole system.
I tried lowering the core clock to 1350 (standard is 1338) and memory to 2000 (never had luck with clocking the memory any higher), yet I still get crashes. What gives?

Furmark is insane overkill and not really recommended in the same way Prime 95 is old and causes more problems than it solves with stress testing.

Furmark will drive modern cards past safe limits driving the voltage hard and causing occasional spikes and it is insanely hard on cooling happily driving anything that will survive up into the high 90’s. In general unless you have a very specific reason to be running it stay away from Furmark.

Thanks! What should I use for testing then?

Valley bench, any of the 3dmark suite of things, games in general with Afterburner to monitor the stats.

Been testing this now for the last couple days, and the only issue I have is that I get stuttering every 1-2 seconds.
This is very noticible when moving around fast in a game, it will just lock up for a split second. Any idea how to fix this?
HWInfo doesn’t display any memory errors…

I have a FX-8350, could that be bottlenecking it?

There’s your problem right there (if you have it at stock)

Figured as much haha, it’s already OCd to 4314Mhz though, but guess that’s not enough :smiley: Guess I’ll have to save up some money to upgrade to the new Ryzen, but that also comes with a new mobo, ram and cooler :persevere:

Is this no longer available? can’t download
edit: im an idiot got it. Works like a charm. stock 480 my max was 1420/2220mem and now 580bios im at 1450/2140. My mem clocks decreased but core went up. temps stayed the same

Hey, I know it’s a bit old thread, but I really need help. I have the same card, tried yours and like 10 other different bios, every time after opening something I have small freezes and sometimes a bluescreen with video tdr failure. Idk if is my card “different” or my pc hate custom bios. The gpu have samsung memory.

Specs: Win10 (not april build cuz atiflash doesn’t work), XFX RX480 GTR BE, FX 8320 4,5, new XFX 750w Gold+, 4x4GB DDR3 1333mhz, M5A97 EVO R2.0.

Please make a new thread thread describing your issue as best as possible. Bringing back a thread after six months exceeds the 3 months grace period. This is considered a necro and not allowed on the forum. This thread is locked.