Favourite Linux compatible games on Steam?

I'm looking at the games for Linux on Steam and I see all the obvious ones (CS, HL, Portal, Etc) but there's always some "diamonds in the rough".

What are your favourite Linux compatible games on Steam?

To name a few which I've recently enjoyed: Satellite Reign, Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall: Director's Cut, Wasteland 2, The Banner Saga, Trine series, Qube, FTL, Hotline Miami and haven't tested it yet but Insurgency is in my Linux library.

1 Like

Definitely checking out qube right now

Bioshock infinite, Alien Isolation, SOMA, Shadow of Mordor, Fistful of Frags, CIV 5, Killing Floor, Witcher 2, Borderlands 2 & Pre-Sequel, XCOM saga, Metro Redux saga, hotline miami 1 and 2, Saints Row 4, outlast, torchlight 2, Shadow Warrior.

4 Likes

It's a nice puzzle game reminds a bit of Portal and what i forgot to say that is similar is Antichamber

Civ5, openRA

Cities:Skylines, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Plague Inc

The feels >.<

SMB, Risk of Rain, and FTL are my current favorite for Linux. (If anyone is willing to go for a round of RoR just say so, its impossible to get people on there)

saints row 4
minecraft
flatout
floating point

Gnomoria, FTL, Metro Last Light, Space Pirates And Zombies, Dungeon Defenders.

I'll sometimes play TF2 as well, but it's hard to enjoy with the user base it attracts.

Deathruns have always been fun but other than it lost its charm a long time ago

Grid Autosport works really great.
Other alltime favorites are: Pillars of eternity, CIV 5 and Crusader Kings 2. Maybe the X3 Games

There are so many.

I dont know how many of you have been using Linux for a long time, but it used to only be free software/open source games that you could play, id games, plus a few other games like warzone2100. There are some great free software games out there by the way.

Now, roughly 60% of my steam games have a Linux version. Maybe 70% of those work with open drivers and all with clsoed drivers.

I've never had so many games to play on Linux.

To answer your question. I cant pick one, heres a few i really like on Linux.

warzone 2100
pretty much any older id engine game

on steam/gog

divinity: origonal sin
cities skylines
pillars of eternity
Civ
CK2, EU4
KSP

Right now ive been playing hotline miami, transistor, and banner saga on Linux.

Prison architect <3

1 Like

I recently switched my desktop over to Ubuntu, and I started playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare again. If you're looking for multiplayer.

I loved the Metro games & Pillars of Eternity.

Mount & blade is easy to lose yourself in for days at a time. There is a game of thrones mod for it that is pretty cool.

1 Like

I have just finished a 4 hour gaming session with my clan mates playing Insurgency. We got a server a little while ago and been having a blast with it playing coop.

So the linux version of Insurgency is fully functional?

Yes there are a bunch on Reddit moaning about performance after the last patch. So if your hardware is marginal then you might think about it. I have had no issues at all with it, but then with my hardware I shouldn't be having performance issues. It's running on the same version of source as Counter Strike Global Offensive.

It's a tight shooter, more tactical than CS:GO. It has a whole heap of customized content. Skins, maps and game modes. The game has full Steam workshop support. It's never overly expensive and the devs are supporting the game with patches and new content regularly. It's a little like CoD before it became bullshit. It feels a fair bit like CoD:4 but without the kill streak BS of helicopter gunshits and other random ways to die. No exploding fecking dogs or RC car nonsence.

Just you your team mates, a real tight shooter and a whole heap of fun.