Favorite metal bassist?

David Ellefson from MegaDave, super smart guy who knows what people wanna hear. And Eddie Jackson from Queensryche, he actually plays bass, doesn't just mirror what the guitar player is playing.

Alla Fedynitch, but I'm partial because I know her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b15yaPYNDRU

As far as my very fave bassist uhhhhh. I couldn't name one because I like a bunch for different reasons. Showboating, Solid Rythyms, Skill. I couldn't just nail one. Except Karen from Sonic Syndicate. I could def nail that one. ;D 

Clifford Lee Burton

Arif Mirabdolbaghi from Protest the Hero

Steve Harris is an obvious no-brainer for me, as is Justin Chancellor.  I think every bass player under the age of 40 learned triplet gallops and the basics or harmony/melody dynamics from Harris' lines.  Chancellor is good for learning non-standard EADG tunings.  

Other notables for me are Geezer Butler, Frank Bello, Cliff Burton, The Ox, Billy Sheehan (go ahead and try to tell me his lines playing with Vai aren't metal), and oddly enough Sean Yseult.  Sean wasn't much for technical or variance, but damn, she does write consistently groove-y lines every time, and that's something.  If I were to throw out other names for honorable mention, I'd have to say Doug Pinnick (one of the most underrated bassists out there), Doug Wimbash (most notably from Living Colour), and maybe Jason Newsted.  Not so much with Metallica, but very much with Voivod.

Flea from Red Hot Chilli Pepppers... duh

No Geddy Lee?  Seriously?  Rush is a heavy metal band (sometimes).

Beyond Creation. He plays a six string fretless. Yea.

The basist from Stray From The Path is pretty dope.

Cliff Burton - Metallica

R.I.P

Video < Click

John Myung from Dream Theater. If you only listen to Train of Thought they count as Heavy Metal. :P

agreed. and remarkably musically knowledgeable.

Cliff Burton RIP

Mike D'Antonio of Killswitch Engage. He's great live and seems like a top bloke \m/

Les Claypool (Primus) and Chris Squire (Yes) as well as possibly Geddy Lee (Rush). Not really metal, but meh.

And of course Justin Chancellor of Tool. What a genius.

I don't think anyone had mentioned Tony Levin in Liquid Tension Experiment. Also I have enjoyed watching Jason Newsted mature through the years. His new album is an awesome throwback :D

Steve DiGiorgio, Remy Beauchamp (ex-Quo Vadis), Jon Myung, Stephan Fimmers (Necrophagist)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrPw6wZrxcQ

Lech is also possible my favourite drummer.