FAudio for Dummies (Ubuntu based distros)

Hm weird…
I added CB as a non-steam game, tried starting it, it closed.
chmod +x Cinebench.exe, started, worked fine
chmod -x Cinebench.exe, tried starting, closed immediately

:thinking: not sure why it’s not working for you :confused:

Yeah, I just get nothing. Absolutely nothing, no matter what I try with the non-Steam game method.

No idea then :frowning:
I started steam and waited for all the log message spam to stop and then tried starting it, then got that permission denied thing… weird that it’s not doing anything for you :confused:

Yeah, I’ve just never been able to run it on any one of my machines through Proton using the non-Steam method.

Same problem with the Age of Empires II method. Also doesn’t do diddily squat. No console output and just quits immediately. I just can’t get Cinebench to run on Proton PERIOD. This was on a fresh 3600X install too. It’s happening on ALL my machines.

Edit: Somehow the verbosity got turned down on my 3600X machine.

The log is identical to yours without the permission denied issue. It just launches, fails, and exits.

Really weird… no idea what would be causing that :frowning:

Okay, in a moment of pure bewilderment, I switched my version from the Valve Proton to GloriousEggroll Proton (after downloading Wine-Mono) and it worked?!? Proton-GE is more like vanilla Wine than Proton so I guess that’s why it worked?

But why would it be working for me then :thinking: I used pure Proton, literally just downloaded it when I installed ClickerHeroes…

Yeah, I can’t get it to work on vanilla Proton. I’m running KDE on both my 4960X and 3600X systems I use.

Fedora KDE here too soo… idk :expressionless:

That’s where we differ, I’m running Ubuntu 18.04.3.

I like running Wine on Ubuntu because I never got Overwatch to work on Fedora. People on AppDB have all had problems with Overwatch on Fedora.

I installed OW just fine using Lutris so IDK. Then again Lutris uses a runtime based on Ubuntu… never tried installing it manually because why bother with the hassle :man_shrugging:

See, that’s probably why. Native Wine crashes 5 minutes after starting gameplay:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33746&iTestingId=100215&bShowAll=true

That is a 2 year old test though… with an Ancient WINE and Fedora version. I honestly don’t pay much attention to WineHQ since most test results on there are either not tested properly or just way too damn old.

Not to mention they think DXVK is invalid testing. ProtonDB is a step in the right direction, but Lutris has no compatibility reports, just an issue tracker for each game on the website.

DIdnd’t know that. Then it’s pointless anyway, who the hell still plays DX11 games without DXVK. Might as well shoot myself in the foot, it’s less painful.

I mean, that’s sort of a compatibility report, no? Or do you mean per-distro? Because that is evened out since Lutris uses the Lutris run time (based on Ubuntu) by default… so unless any lib is missing in the runtime it’ll “just work :tm:

Yeah, but there really isn’t a compatibility report maintainer for people just installing wine-staging anymore… I like the concept of ProtonDB, but it won’t gain traction for wine-staging people.

Oh that… yeah, well, I mean Lutris’ whole concept is that you don’t use staging so… :smiley: but IMO the AppDB was never well maintained anyway. It was just random people with anecdotal reports, no real testing.

BTW just started Overwatch with the Lutris runtime disabled and System WINE (Staging 4.15) to test it out, and it runs just as well.
Only thing is, System WINE doesn’t seem to support E-Sync, which is a bummer. At least that’s what Lutris shows when launching OW with System WINE. Though I’m not sure if this is still accurate since it seems to have been integrated to staging

Yeah, Lutris and “System WINE” seem to be slightly out of touch.

After experiences of being berated after saying “Uh, Overwatch doesn’t work on Fedora 26” to be met by “It works perfectly on Ubuntu, your OS is the problem, so why don’t you ditch Fedora?” to “It works fine on my machine, loser.” I haven’t looked back.

Haven’t had that yet, but I can imagine that happening. Especially on their discord there are a lot of people that don’t really know what they’re saying themselves so… there’s that. But yeah anyway, it works perfectly fine as of now.
I could see how it didn’t work in the past though.