Fastest Ryzen 1800X System in the World 2017-03-20* | Level One Techs

But then again if one thinks about it, there's no point in overclocking that high anyway if you can't bench it, that's like boosting a car 1.6 Opel Astra to 900Bhp but having the engine blow up while racing it. Awesome, but impractical. I love practical mods more than show mods. But that's just my view on things

Ok, Now not to detract from that achievement. I thinks it's awesome. The 5.3 OC gets more praise from me as such because they also got a cinebench result out of it atleast.

EDIT: Afterthought, As for LN2, why are all these OC'ers still using open evaporation LN2 cooling, surely someone has made a closed loop recirculating LN2 or Helium Cooler by now?

Closed loop ln2 go boom if not done well and it also offers no significant additional cooling/etc.

Forgive the ignorance, but wouldnt excessive core voltage have some sort of trace-etching effect, regardless of the cooling solution?

If you go for world records; you accept the CPU or CPUs are likely going to die and overclock them to the max anyway.

Well at the temperatures ( < -20C) LN2 cools silicon down to, the properties of silicon change in many ways, It's thermal and electrical resistance decrease so you are already outputting less heat, but the silicon and chip assembly as a whole also becomes more brittle and prone to cracks. So there's a fine temperature balance between voltage and temperature. As for trace etching, you will likely end up with some transistor junctions and weaker circuit elements heating up substantially due to simple Ohms Law alongside with a whole bunch of other effects such as electron leakage etc due to the higher voltages at the small scales involved.

That said I'm not an expert on IC thermodynamics and design that's just my educated guess/idea of what I think plays a role In short form.

Thinking of the magnitude of a project like this made me chuckle... a closed-loop cryogenic system? That's hopelessly preposterous on a lot of different issues regarding size and cost for a personal computer based on everything I understand about the subject (which is, admittedly, limited!)

Thanks for the lolz.

AMD should offer an insurance policy like Intel. For ocers

2 Likes

Well you gotta go to the next step eventually, how else would we cool the 30Billion transistor chips of the future :P

But regarding Closed Loop LN2, I have seen a few of those in my time, mostly in research, the issue with them is just that the condensers and compressors are quite 'bulky' :P

But they would give you quite stable temperature control requiring relatively minimal interaction so would likely give stable 'extreme' overclocks for longer than a guy can pour LN2 from one cup into another. Lol

But honesly I'd be up for building something like that right now for my poor PC. The ambient Air temp right now is 41C where I am....

Intel just gives OCers like 10 CPUs in case some die then its like... Oh well.
AMD...idk what they do for OCers, I would guess similar thing but not sure

Ahh... 41C... Now that I know you live in the Sahara, I would be looking into innovative cooling solutions, too.

Nah different desert further south. ;)

1 Like

tweaking SOC and CPU DLL voltages may give you a little bit of something extra.

Asus claim SOC voltage max is 1.35V. Not sure that I would got that high on air but maybe 1.21 or 1.22v might vary something

Pretty bad a$$ considering all the flack Ryzen's been getting

Congrats, this was a great accomplishment for you guys!