Far Cry 6 on linux... possible?

Far Cry 6 has just been released.
I was hoping wendell’s video was going to have a sneaky bit about getting it to work on linux as well as his thoughts, etc to no avail.

My guess is that I am going to be out of luck but any anyone read or got it working on their system sans VM or dual booting?

1 Like

Its Epic Game Store and Ubisoft Store from what I see. So no real linux. If / when steam or GoG get it. We will see.

For reference I have just gone through the 3hr wait to install it through ubiconnect using lutris and while it attempts to open… it crashes back to the ubiconnect menu… sigh.

@wendell have you given it a try?

… what?

You know you can run both of them in WINE and the game through that right? Even if it were on Steam, it would still go through Uplay.

If the game doesn’t have some weird requirements it should just work.

Get a wine debug log then. Set the debug logging in Lutris’ config to enabled, then start lutris using lutris -d to get the WINE debug output in the terminal.

If raytracing is on by default, that might be an issue and there might be a config file to edit to disable it. But I don’t have the game so I can’t test.

2 Likes

I’ve had positive experiences of Ubisoft Connect games on Linux tbh (well, relatively… Ubisoft is never a positive experience, even on Windows lmfao)

But yeah, I had issues on Windows where Assassin’s Creed Odyssey would launch in the wrong resolution and then set all of my monitors to like 800x600 for literally just a second, then it would put them back shortly afterwards, but not before it would rearrange every application i had in the background. It doesn’t do that in Linux, so technically my Linux experience of that game is better than my Windows experience xD

1 Like

So your saying the game runs in wine then ?

I’m not saying it does as I cannot test it, not owning the game.

But as I said if it doesn’t have some wildly weird requirements it should run.

My point was though it has nothing to do with either Epic or Uplay.

legendary and heroic launcher are EGS for Linux (oss solution). In saying that if you want advanced features like RT then you will need a NVIDIA card since AMD doesn’t really do RT under Linux yet (unless you like 3fps).

I have a 1080 so none of that tech applies lol just running it would be nice

Why?

Did you just ask if it runs on windows?

1 Like

No mate… quite the opposite

Well as I said if we’re to help…

1 Like

I shall do when I get some time to grab one been playing with other stuff today lol hopefully tomorrow

Edit - looks like someone got it working in arch - Far Cry 6 Linux Wine | RX 6700 XT | Ryzen 7 5800x | 32GB RAM - YouTube

Original reddit thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/q3m5m5