Fallout 76 Anounced

I am going to go out on a limb and say there will be even less plot / dialogue in this game than there is in 4, despite being ‘four times larger’.

As wide as the sea and as deep as a puddle.

they really should start using that as their tag line.

There aren’t any human NPCs in the entire game. So no friendly settlements, no Diamond city, etc. Only humanoid opponents are scorchers, ghouls who are only partially feral so they use guns. Only possible questgivers are robots and computers.

They’re hoping for emergent narratives from allied players in conflict over resources, like EVE online. But EVE is massively multiplayer with thousands of players in a single server, while F76 server counts are in dozens. So those emergent stories will read something like “I was fighting a deathclaw and then some 12 year old called my mom a whore and shot me in the back”.

1 Like

I lost all interest pretty much immediately. My tea leaf read.

-Buy the game and have to play with others.
-The down the line personal servers will be after all the sales of the game is done. Well there goal for sales.
-Personal servers will be monthly subs to this “single player game” with online to have a bethesda instance you pay for in the cloud.

I’ll give it a year or look at it if there is a linux client. And see if I am wrong.

Nah, the way i read it, there will be NO personal servers.

All they’ll do is run everyone on the same servers, but if you decide to play as a group or solo, a flag gets set on your connection so that you don’t get updates from people outside of your instance.

e.g.,

• I connect with 3 friends - We all get the same instance ID
  • You connect with 5 friends - You all get a different shared (with your group) instance ID
  • Some guy wants to play solo - gets his own instance ID
  • Everyone else playing on “open” gets their instance ID randomly assigned into groups of 24, 36 or whatever the maximum instance population is…

You can only see or interact with people who have the same instance ID as you. However, in ALL cases the game world state is generated and stored online. Like Diablo 3…

This is sort of how Elite dangerous does it…

I’m guessing they will have either a season pass or monthly/yearly renewal though.

Which i am not 100% against, so long as i get something for it. You can’t expect a developer to develop and maintain an online world without a revenue stream, and the initial game sale only simply won’t cover the ongoings…

It’s also a way to try and fight piracy - if the complete game is not in the client, then you can pirate the client as much as you like - it won’t work.

Personally, as much as I’d prefer to be able to play offline, i’d much rather this method of copy-protection than something like secureRom.

2 Likes

I’d much prefer the ability to run it on my own server with steam client updates

They won’t do that, it’s online-only. Thro has it all right.

1 Like

You might prefer that, i might prefer that.

But due to rampant piracy, we can’t have nice things…

While I usually like to buy on GoG when I can since it is always DRM free, Fallout 1-3+tactics are all the DRM free versions on Steam.

Gog have a sale, or maybe had a sale, not sure if it ended…

Yeah, they are $2.49 each for 1, 2 and tactics. Every few years I would buy the Collection Disc so I still got 1 and 2 on four discs, tactics on 2 discs and all of them on GoG and Steam and in my backups. And my backup save of my FO2 Power Armor + Red Ryder LE build. Always find it funny to run around in Power Armor with a BB gun.

I never really played 1 nor 2… I just had fun in a skyrim kind of way with 3… I Ren around doing whatever. GOG have managed to fix the game so it should run fine on W10… I may get it…