Falcon Heavy Test Flight LIVE

2 Likes

Had a reservation for myself and a friend who wanted to test-drive a Tesla, it was free at the time and he had no license

Anyone could reserve a test-drive from their site

Unfortunately the friend couldn’t make it and since it was a dream of his and not mine, i cancelled it. Regret that a bit…

From their twitter

1 Like

The boosters are deceptively large as well, this is a good image for scale

5 Likes

So do we know yet? Did the center-booster make it or not?

Don’t know yet.

Need to wait and see what they say officially. Sounds like they may have lost the core booster.

timestamp: 8:30

“we lost the centre core” ?

Though that may refer to the signal…

lulz @

3 Likes

4 Likes

did they lose that bitch?

That was just amazing. Don’t even care about the core booster, this was a brand new rocket on a testflight. And the landing of the two side boosters … straight up alien invasion, that’s what it looked like.

I’d never have bet on an outcome like that.
Props to SpaceX.

That is pretty insane. I wonder if it is possible to land the core on the moon? They could build some serious shit

The central core booster is a launch rocket, not used to take things further than Earth orbit. The stage 2 is what carries the payload out of earth orbit, that would be what would take something to the moon in theory.

1 Like

according to local news the core did successfully land on the drone ship.

2 Likes

This is gold! xD

Looks like it, yeah.

1 Like

Why aren’t we seeing it elsewhere then

, but it was not immediately clear whether the central core booster touched down on a drone ship in the Atlantic Ocean. https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/02/watch-live-spacexs-colossal-falcon-heavy-may-finally-fly-today/

Unfortunately the center core didn’t make it. Only one of the three engines ignited and it hit the ocean at 300 MPH.

Other than that, though, what a spectacular show. I am so glad I watched it live. Seeing the rocket lift off was amazing. Seeing the two boosters land nearly simultaneously was mind blowing.

8 Likes

The Stig is going to Mars.

Also, The KSP community is really fast:

2 Likes