Fake IBM Keyboard?

I impulsively ordered this:

It appears to be an IBM keyboard made in 2014. Does IBM still make keyboards?

There are also seemingly identical keyboards branded as Lenovo from the same seller:

They’re all listed as model SK-8845CR.

What’s up with these? They’re all new from China, and multiple regional layouts are available.

As long as it’s not a flaming pile of trash, I’m still happy to have it. It’s one of my favorite key layouts, but I just don’t understand what’s going on with the branding.

You bought a european keyboard. LOL!

I bought the English ansi one with IBM branding.

1 Like

I do not believe they make anything anymore, hardware wise that is, for the consumer market. Lenovo makes all of IBM’s old stuff.

But then again here is this website, that just barely says the opposite, http://mthompson.org/keyboard.html. Don’t know if you have seen it yet.

1 Like

Yup these are definitely a thing. Lenovo make all the old IBM stuff, like the make the thinkpad laptops these days. I have seen these before but did not have much interest in them as it is basically just the top plate of the bottom half of a thinkpad laptop. Instead of going to an internal ribbon cable it goes to USB instead and they just put a different bottom on them instead of a laptops bottom with the CPU and all that stuff in it. So you end up with a weird big laptop keyboard complete with mouse nipple and track pad.

Some people who use their thinkpads everywhere get really used to those inputs as I think the put the FN key where the left Ctrl usually is. I hate that but if you use one every day and get used to that “normal” keyboards then fell weird to you so they sell these for those people to hook them up to their home PCs to have the same familiar layout on all their PCs.