Failing to startx (Linux)

So I just built a computer with a Ryzen 3600 and RX 5700. I have installed Arch Linux, but cant start xorg. Whenever I look at the log file it says that it could not find /dev/dri/card0. But, whenever I run neofetch under gpu it shows amd ati navi 10. I tried reinstalling xor and all the drivers but none of that worked. Any ideas?

does /dev/dri/card0 exist?

The RX 5700 is still very new. I’m not surprised it’s having issues.

What kernel are you on, did you install xf86-video-amdgpu, what graphical environment are you trying to run?

1 Like

/dev/dri/card0 does not exist. I installed xf86-video-amdgpu and I am on kernel 5.2.8

What’s in /dev/dri/?

/dev/dri isn’t even showing up.

Sounds like you have a driver issue.

What’s the output of lspci -knn | grep VGA -a5

Actually, run sudo update-pciids first.

Is there a specific part you are looking for?

the GPU.

Is it not showing anything?

Have the latest kernel on hand

5.2.8 is plenty recent enough, I’m more concerned about why /dev/dri doesn’t have anything.

1 Like

Its is showing two “USB controller”, two “SATA controller”, two “PCI bridge”, one “VGA compatible controller”, two “Audio device” and two “Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]”

Yes, and I need to see the information below the VGA compatible controller.

0c:00.0 "VGA compatible controller" "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]" "Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5700 / 5700 XT]" -rc4 "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]" "Navi 10"

Okay, what kernel module is it using?

For example, this is my GPU:

43:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070 Ti] [10de:1b82] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070 Ti] [1462:c303]
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia

I need to see this:

Kernel driver in use: nvidia

It doesn’t say anything about a Kernel driver or module.

There’s your issue

The GPU doesn’t have a driver. It’s possible that AMD hasn’t upstreamed the driver yet.

I’ve got no experience with this specific issue, so I’m just shooting in the dark at this point, but you might need to try installing linux-next-git from AUR.

Thanks, I’ll try that.

Yes you need at least 5.3 for Navi support, I don’t think it’s been back ported to 5.2 series.

EDIT: You may also want to run mesa-git from the lcarlier repo since it’s pre-compiled and saves a lot of time instead of building. It does break occasionally on my vega 64 but I just roll back.

^ This. There are patches that you can apply on kernel 5.2 but there is more work in 5.3 available. You will also need to run mesa-git. If you need graphical not, install the Radeon Pro driver from AMD until mainline support becomes available to your distro.

Since you are running ArchLinux, you can pacman -Syu linux-next to get the current 5.3 rc. You will still more than likely need to run mesa-git for anything besides desktop use.