Facial recognition Obfuscation

I am work just thinking random stuff. and a few thoughts collided. with every wearing masks now.

So China says thy have Facial recognition with mask on, in a defcon talk I saw on YouTube a while back talked about obfuscation of the recognition with clothing, bumper stickers, etc. That had me thinking could one make masks that confuse the recognition software, and how would one test that out?

we all could walk around wearing strange looking masks for the fun of it :smile:

3 Likes

Bullshit. Don’t trust them.

Facial recognition is great if you have a small subset of complete faces When you have a medium/large subset of faces, it’s bad. It’s borderline unusable if they’re wearing masks. Just not enough points to differentiate against.

I’ve had a theory about how you can do this with light a while back. I’m tempted to test it every now and then.

Sure. Sounds good.

2 Likes

I’d just put a lot of very powerful IR SMD LEDs just behind the superficial part of the mask to blind every camera. It could easly run off of a powerbank with wires running behind one hear and going down to a pocket.
Not the easiest solution but it won’t be easy to spot with a glance.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking hoodie or baseball cap.

Just cover a hoodie in adversarial images and enjoy. Can’t get classified if it can’t tell you’re a person.

That being said, this doesn’t work for the more structured facial recognition services in the US. The most common one you’ll encounter is when entering US Customs. The ‘fast track’ aisle that has you lean in and take a picture? That’s adding you to CPB’s database. You don’t get to go through those gates until your face passes, so adversarial images won’t work.

3 Likes

Beyond Face Recog, is Gait recog.
Harder to effectively mask on’e gait.

So to mask oneself, simply drive everywhere on a mobility scooter, with a socially acceptable motorcyle helmet.

Then the Computer won’t recognise you (to everyone else you would be unique, and unmissable…)

2 Likes

Maybe Choina is just lying about face detect through mask (as if even they could tell the difference between their faces)
Really they just track the metropass used moments before, or the cellphone they are carrying…

This is honestly the easier way to handle it.

This is why you use stolen metropass, and carry a nokia.

/s

Or even better, don’t live in a shithole city where you need to take public transit.

2 Likes

so you can club the feds to def and flee?

4 Likes

hah not exactly.

I think some places are too dense for fursonal personal transit. (I don’t know what transit furry people use. Heim! I mean Phase! I don’t even remember)

I do not envy the people having to live / visit such places.

If I manage to find a pattern that I like will not come up as something dangerous like an assalut rifle or a bomb I might print myself a couple hoodies like that just for fun.

I want one that’s a shrubbery.

Or Karen Gillian.

2 Likes

I’ll talk to my computer vision teacher about it and let you know if it can be done.

3 Likes

Offtopic here: I’m a simple man, I see Karen Gillian, I upvote.

I think I first noticed her on Oculus. Man, that movie was great in a twisted horrible way.

1 Like

Here is the Def-con talk i was talking about

https://youtu.be/jVcGZ_Ak4NI

I don’t trust anything coming out of China.
at the rate the recognition systems get better and better, and one day it will be like the Minority Report reading your retinas as your go about your business.
I am all for feeding the system as much junk as i can

why stop at a hoodie add a mask and pants. Oh and put a banana stickers on for good messure

Reflective stuff is probably the way to go. Privacy people should consider shiny metal teeth like 6ix9ine.

1 Like

Nokias doesn’t ping cell towers?