Facebook’s VPN app puts spotlight on kids’ consent

I honestly don’t even know how to start on this one. Facebook masquerading a VPN service with Data harvesting of minors (as young as 13)… Since this is going on in the EU could they step in and fine or prohibit the use of Facebook as a whole?

There used to be a segment called “Governments behaving badly” We now should have “Companies Behaving Badly”
Why are people still using Facebook any way !

I signed up for this app - on 4 different phones! This is from the Atlas Project’s page:

"This test is sending information about how you use your Social Media products. It gathers data about the apps themselves, when each is used and how often.

Please know that your security and your privacy is very important to us. Note the following:

Information being passed is anonymous and only being sent via VPN to ensure a secure connection shares this data.

Facebook is only interested in group data and not your individual phone or information.

We have thousands of testers on this project. Facebook is looking exclusively at group trends, usage, and aggregate information. They are not looking at you individually.

The invitation code is the only connection they have to the data. They don’t know your name, who you are or any other personal information. Facebook does not have access to the Betabound system and is restricted from seeing this project."

The phones I installed this app on do nothing but make calls and texts, except for my own, which I use Telegram, Audible, Maps & the Alexa app for my shopping list lol. I view it like this: My information is being harvested without my consent or incentive by virtually EVERY entity online from my ISP to social media apps that I don’t use. In addition to this, data breaches are happening so frequently it doesn’t matter how precautious you are. I use a password manager with 24 character passwords and non-SMS 2FA wherever possible, but all of that is useless when a site like Dropbox or Amazon is compromised.

In short, why not get paid? An extra $80/month on Amazon adds up by Christmas! I honestly considered running another 8 emulated phones for another $160/month but my conscience got the better of me.

1 Like