Extreme ram usage in win 10, for no reason? (99+%)

Like the title says my pc have suddenly started using ~99% of the ram even in idle. I started Rammap and it says that theres ~14.8 gb in the nonpaged pool, which is quite a lot in my opinion. i've run avast virus scan with no problems, and tried restarting aswell, and the problem persists. I can't find any descent explanations online, so now im asking here if anyone here knows of a reason, and how to fix it?

Specs are as follows:
16 gb of kingston hyperx beast 2400 mhz ddr3
Msi z87 gd65- gaming with latest bior9 295x2
+ some ssd/hdds
running win 10 home

I hope one of you guys can think of a reason that makes sense so i can get a working pc again, so thanks in advance :slight_smile:

open the task manager
click more details
click on processes (should be the open tab)
click on memory , maybe again to sort it the other way.
if you get something like service host hogging memory (or no definitive answer) then do the following:

in the taskmanager
click on the performance tab
then click on open resource monitor

in the resource monitor
click on memory
then click on "Commit(KB)" or any other field on that row to sort ,just like the task manager.

this should find the offending program(s) fairly quickly.

Disable superfetch then reboot, and see if that solves the issue.

Win 10?? Reinstall

1 Like

Jumping the gun a bit there aren't we?
There's plenty of things to try before a complete reinstall lol.

2 Likes

quick update, after trying to shut it down i found out that that was'nt possible(instant restart) i forced shutdown by holding power til it died. After starting it up again the ram usage seems normal again. Im still curious about what happened though, so any thougts are welcome, and i will of course try to make it happen again. i will keep ypu updated if i manage to replicate the problem.

1 Like

Didn't think an /s tag was needed.

Had the same happen for me a few days ago, 5gig RAM usage when I closed everything, highest ram-usage on a process was like 100mb.

Because that worked for me.

2 Likes

Nonpaged Pool going that high sounds like a memory leak. If it keeps happening it may be something recently installed, perhaps driver wise.

2 Likes

Killer ethernet driver used to have a memory leak.

1 Like

Keep having the same problem, time and again. I've been trying to figure out what causes it. most of the time, I usually end up doubting chrome and/or kaspersky. because a lot of times, closing them suddenly lowers the resources on my pc below 25% whereas both of them can actually take it upwards of 70-80%.

Original and funny, you are the type of person who make me love forums.

1 Like

A government may be spying on you? I don't know man it sounds like a mystery

check how much is cached. Noticed sometimes windows10 gets idiotic and starts caching everything. (a bug)

1 Like

The most likely cause that I have seen on my machines is a bad driver, although not 100% of the time. I had a poorly written game called space engineers that would do it too, it would use every bit of ram you could throw at it. If this is a new behavior I would point at any change you made to the system recently, like a newly installed program/driver.

1 Like

Thats not a bug. Caching is intended behavior and for good reason. Unused ram is wasted ram.

caching functionality is intended thats correct, but not when nothing is running on your workstation and system keeps on loading more into memory to point where system is running out of memory on itself. (basically it doesn't free up cached objects for new programs - when its needed.)

1 Like

Well, so far i haven't been able to replicate the problem, so hopefully it was a random fluke. The only change within the last month have been an update to windows early last week, all other programs/drivers haven't been touched since last reinstal (~2 months ago). So it may have been a bug in the windows update, or just a random fluke. Anyway, if anything new happens i will keep you posted, and if anyone have any idea to the reason, keep them comming.

Im on the superfetch is the problem bandwagon.
Horrible piece of software, Horrible.

Superfetch is a feuture (service) that is build into windows,
it pre loads several commonly used applications in memory,
so that they could be fired up quicker.
This is eating allot of unesasary memory.
Because most modern systems nowdays have a fast SSD as a boot drive,
so that applications can be loaded quickly anyways.
That kinda makes superfetch a bit like a pointless feuture i think.
Disabling it should result in a lower memory ussage.

2 Likes