Extra headers found in Asus WRX80 Sage

I have have noticed extra headers in my Asus WRX80 Sage motherboard. Did i get an engineering sample? It was in a retail box.

There is no mention of these headers in the motherboard’s manual.

2 of them had a label of BMC_DEBUGUART and yhe otherone is DEBUG, the third ine in the middle is not labled.

Any ideas?

Also, was wondering what would be the best way to terminate the VGA header given discreet graphics and the need of being able to fully control PC remotely using BMC/IPMI. Was thinking if there is any ESP32 chip of raspberry pi zero that would allow me to see bios screen both remotely and locally when am working on the #sworkstation.

The vga header will allow you to view the bios, but not separately from an GPU after boot. The keyboard is shared.
Very handy for setup. You should be able to use the virtual console of the BMC to the pc remotely from a pi or what have you. Not the bios, but the sensor outputs, fan control.
You just need the ethernet connected to your network.

Any ideas about the other headers?

Although I’m not sure what to do with them, my board has the same headers.

Hey, I notice you have a micro SD card inserted into your board. Have you had any luck getting it to work?

It works as I can mount it under OS, I can’t get IPMI / BMC to mount it to use .iso images to boot from.

I have contacted Asus and they told they are “working on it”

I have found Asus to be that company that doesn’t care if your technical paper says one thing and they’re just doing something stupid because electronically it’ll work, so they do it anyways. Such as putting a workstation chip in a laptop and then it not caring and booting normally like hey whatup ho.

You will probably be able to do in the future, they’re just seeing how many ppl email them.

1 Like

The way I got it to show ISO images is to format the micro SD as ext4, put the ISO and IMG files onto it and set the permissions so that the files are owned by root.

I have a thread regarding the micro SD card slot functionality: HELP - ASUS WRX80 SAGE microSD CD ROM emulation not performing as expected

My issue is that I’ve got the SD card to work as expected, but CD ROM emulation is awful (but CD ROM emulation over remote file share is significantly faster… ? Even local mass storage emulation with a .IMG is significantly faster than local CDROM emulation… Which I cannot comprehend why).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.