Extended thoughts on 16:10 (8:5) and the tard resolutions

Is it weird that I knew who started this thread before opening it or noticing the tags, just by the topic?

6 Likes

Not at all.

Heā€™s got this way with words.

A really nice 1080p screen is hard to beat for general media consumption. Seeing as how common 1080p content is.

Right? Itā€™s like seeing elephants on those stilt-like legs or a melting clock.

All iā€™ve been using since 2009 is an HP w2007. 16:10 1680 x 1050 panel.

I really want 21:9, 4K , 120Hz and IPS. That is my dream. 16:10 is all iā€™ve ever known. And the monitor market has to be the most sheistery market there is. 1080p TN panel. 60Hz. $180. Add 120/144Hz. Thatā€™ll be $300 please!

Nothing is reasonable. I hope i can get really lucky with a nice IPS, 21:9 4K 120Hz panel. I think ASUS are the only ones who have such a panel.

But yeah. 1680 x 1050? Meh. Going to a 24" 1080p panel seems like nothing but a waste of money. Even if i could get one for something ridiculous. I donā€™t see the point. Pixel density is actually lower. Really pointless for someone like me. I wanna go big. And with a massive resolution. Giggity.

Probably the only one here that agrees with you! Started out using a 16:10 1680x1050 display then upgraded to 16:9 1080p. The new one felt rather cramped vertically with loads of wasted space on the sides especially when web browsing and document editing.

With 16:9, if you need more vertical space you have to go with a physically larger monitor or a higher resolution which either makes the picture look terrible or is significantly more expensive with even more wasted horizontal space. Same with 16:10 but to a much lesser extent. Iā€™d rather be able to see 2 full pages of a document than a few paragraphs of 4.

Iā€™d love to get a hold of some decent 16:10 monitors. Dell probably has some.

1 Like

Thank fuck.

Offices are offloading like crazy right now. I got my display for 50 bucks and I have been absolutely loving it. Iā€™m trying to decide if I should keep or sell my 1080p screen.

You can always build a Wendell type Machine with like 8 Miss Matched Monitores just for the sake of having more real state.

-Fallen

Iā€™ll say I have dual 1920x1200 24" monitors and I love them. I donā€™t think I could return to 16:9 unless it was 1440p.
It always feels weird using my laptopā€™s 1080p screen, just because it feels so cramped.

To me the extra 120px height adds just enough height that I can view 1080p content, and have something like the time, or notifications, still in the corner (in the black bars) rather then have it overlap on the video. (Ive personally never minded black bars unless the black bars take up a majority of the screen like they used to for displaying 16:9 stuff on a 4:3 screen)

Also I play a lot of older games that do not have widescreen support, even via modding, So I am able to play at their highest resolution 1600x1200 over whats usually the next highest: 1280x1024.

1 Like