Exploring Hip-Hop

I’m a metal head, but in general my music taste has always been eclectic. One of the underrepresented genres is most definitely hip-hop. The issue is I can not stand modern mainstream hip-hop/rap: the flexing, repetition, hypocrisy, and the drama. I also can’t seem to find friends with deep appreciation of the music and genre that I’d trust to make some recommendations.
However, what intrigues me about the genre is the poetry, wordplay, and story telling - there are without a doubt some creative geniuses, but I need help finding them.

Here are a few of my favorites of the genre:
Black Balloons Reprise (feat. Denzel Curry) - Flying Lotus

Dance With the Devil - Immortal Technique

That said, what are some your recommendations for hip-hop? Particular music with a story to tell, a strong message, something that challenges society, or provokes reflection?

1 Like

In what way? Hip Hop has been a cultural juggenaut since the first break in the early 80s.

image image

If your coming from Metal this might be on your palette

1 Like

For my eclectic taste in music. It wasn’t a general statement, but pertaining to me personally. Aside from an odd parody here and there, I’ve never owned a single hip-hop album or track in over a decade. Haven’t really been into the genre since the mid 2000’s. As both someone who takes pride in my diverse taste in music and someone who grew up on hip-hop, it just seemed like something I should rectify.

Anyway, I’ll go ahead and start digging into these recommendations. Thanks!

PS - there are some real classics on here. Always good to revisit some of these. Especially Rakim. Amazingly, Brothas Doobie are new to me. Also digging R.A. the Rugged Man.