Explain to me like I'm 5: Why would I use TrueNAS Scale over Unraid?

Ooof - Not even close.

Appreciate the insight though. In a word? Indispensable

Was referring to @redocbew

Ill contribute my thoughts when i have time to sit down at my laptop.

2 Likes

Yall are going on dates??

1 Like

Many of us do, yeah.

2 Likes

Lets just say I like sweet and sour chicken.

1 Like

Ah well, then it would seem I am an idiot. My apologies, Mr. Sauce.

Twas a half-baked reference to the “You guys are getting paid?” line in We’re the Millers

3 Likes

Sweet and sour chicken tacos*

2 Likes

Im 4 drinks in on my last vacation day. Cut me some slack :joy:

2 Likes

I can’t help it. The whole stack is interesting. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Now find some full-stacked bitches?

1 Like

Fair, but there are things it does well that the alternatives simply can’t.
If you need/want any of those things it really starts to narrow down your options. At least until the open source community bothers to steal the ideas and make a free implentation.

Purely as a storage option, there are two other solutions that achieve similar goals to Unraid.

• MergerFS + SnapRAID. Behaves very similar to Unraid.
  • BTRFS in “RAID1” mode with multiple drives - “RAID1” is a very misleading name for this, it’s better called two-copy. If you have 3 disks or more it will write two copies of data to the two drives with the most free space. So eventually it will write to all the drives in the pool. You can also freely add or remove drives with a rebalance.

You’d really want to run ZFS if you’re after performance, since the above don’t take advantage of multiple copies of data to speed up IO.

Does anybody have an out-of-the-box system which uses this and presents a useful front-end? This looks like a viable replacement for UnRAID if somebody does the leg work of making a friendly UI.
EDIT: Specifically the MergerFS + SnapRAID bit.

I use TrueNAS as a dedicated storage appliance, with some file sharing. It synergiezes well with my proxmox host, got a direct 10gig connection between them with nfs, which I may have to upgrade to 40gig at some point due to the amount of VM’s i’m spinning up

OpenMediaVault

There’s different ways to do VMs in OMV, none are as nice as Proxmox.

Nice! I don’t need VMs, just a way to put all my spare trash HDDs together in a lazy setup.