EVGA SC GTX 760 card ripped from system while it was powered on

Hello guys! As some of you may know, I am new here, but a long time follower. I've been around long before all the drama went down. Something came about a while ago and well...now I've finally found a reason to register on this forum, I need help and as the title suggests I may be SOL.

(padding)
A few years ago my friend ripped his new GTX 760 from his rig he just built while it was on. When he told me about it I had tears in my eyes because of how much we wanted to build our systems after saving for such a long time. He ended up buying a 970 and has learned his lesson (for the love of holy overclocking, thank gosh).

(article)
So as you know, the card was taken straight from a running system, that's something to consider. The card powers up just fine, fans spin just fine and can post just fine on all outputs. I can even boot an Arch ISO from a USB and everything seems to be working just fine. The problem lies when I try to start a more advanced environment instead of simply a terminal. I've tested this on different machines and different kinds of HW with the same result. This card was originally in a windows machine and had worked for about 2 weeks or so before the card got zapped. A Manjaro ISO is successful until I tell it to boot XFCE at this screen here. I can see the boot logo and the loading screen, but after it tries to display XFCE ... nothing... just a blank screen. This has happened on windows and other OSs as well (mainly Arch and Debian based ones :stuck_out_tongue: )

(footer)
I've heard of heating up the card in an oven, but I wanted to try that as a last resort if I can even find an extra oven I won't ever be using again... If someone has any input as to what I should do to try and revive this card it would be much appreciated.

What kernel version of Manjaro is this? 4.10.x?

Oven is only an option for older cards or if it's been sitting in drastic temperature changes. Would have nothing to do with it being ripped out of a working system. He probably ripped off the pins or damaged them in some way.

I'm sorry I don't know exactly what version, but I wrote this ISO from last year to my USB >>manjaro-xfce-16.10.2-stable-x86_64.iso<<

No drastic changes, but you're probably right. I did forget to mention that I believe he said that he saw an arc so IDK how big my chances are at fixing this card.

get a soldering iron, hot air gun, solder, flux, and a voltmeter and start learning hardware repair. this is a good place to start https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup
and since the card will boot the die isnt dead meaning that the chip will work just not under load. probably damage from the surge taking out a voltage regulator or mosfet or something. a good diagram + a voltmeter will let to figure out exactly where the damage it. a lot of parts like mosfets are literally pennies on ebay or whatever and cheap and easy to replace. easiest way is to find a dead 760 same model that can be a donor board.

2 Likes