EVGA 680 4GB or AMD HD 7950 3GB CF?

Hey guys,

I've only just joined Tek Synidcate but have been watching the channels for a while now and really enjoyed them.

I'm getting a custom build in January and as I have no experience in GPU's I was hoping you guys could help with this particular problem.

If anyone needs the rest of the planned build I can give the specs but I'm still looking for improvements within an approx. £1500 budget not including monitor.

The current set of specs I'm looking at are the following:

Cooler Master Storm Stryker Full Tower Gaming Case

Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Quad Core 3.50 GHz

Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling w/ 240MM Radiator

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Intel Z77 Chipset

Corsair XMS3 w/Heat Spreader 16GB (4x4GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory

CoolerMaster 850watt Silent Pro M2 Modular Gaming Power Supply, SLI / Crossfire ready

120GB Corsair Force Series GT SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk

2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive

Any improvements to any of these parts in addition to the GPU recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

i dont know how much budget you have for the gpu but 7950 vs 680 im almost sure 680 wins but 7970 vs 680 which is more in the same price range i believe the 7970 wins in just gaming but cuda on tha 680 is better for rendering. also the new 8000 series cards are coming in january so the 7000 series cards are probaly going to drop in price or you could get one of the new 8000 seeies cards

Pretty sure two 7950 would Stomp a single card, but then again, that would limit your upgrade potention in the future. usually the rule of thumb is buy the best card you can afford and then if you want you can buy another later, what do you need these gpus for though ?                     

Thanks guys for the quick response the GPUs are being used primarliy for the best gaming performance with a 3D monitor upgrade in May, I get my next major pay in May but i'm buying the build on 7/8th of Jan as my laptop is dying and need it for university work also.

if your going 3d nvidia is much easier to use and less hassle/possibly more compatibility