Everytime i shut it down, it reboots back into Windows

My computer here at the job developed a weird behavior, every time i’m in Windows 10 and i shut it down, it just reboots back into Windows again.
It started a few days after i installed Debian on a secondary hard drive partition.
I figured it could’ve been due to Debian’s GRUB, today i installed Manjaro and the problem persisted.
Any idea on why this happens?

1 Like

So is it turning itself back on after you shutdown windows?

Or it booting into windows without showing grub?

Booting back into Windows without showing grub, as if just logged out of my user account

I presume that the system is using UEFI. The link below may help, since I am not super familiar with dual booting on the same drive using UEFI.

1 Like

Thanks, i’ll take a look!
But its not UEFI, its legacy BIOS.

Windows 10 has this weird “feature” where it doesn’t always shutdown or restart completely to save time.

To solve this, you should be able to hold shift while pressing “shut down” or “Restart”

2 Likes

Oh right, check that fast startup is disabled in windows 10.

3 Likes

This feature is called caching.

Disable fast boot in uefi/bios and in windows, and then set boot priority to Grub and then it should work.

1 Like

I also sometimes get this - selecting “Shutdown” in the Start Menu will just log me out, then back in. Retrying doesn’t make a difference.

I can (reliably) fix it by running

shutdown /s /t 0

in Powershell (or I suppose command prompt). Next time, Windows will shut down properly even from the GUI.

• /s means “shutdown”
  • /t 0 means “in 0 seconds” (default is 30); value of 0 implies /f (all applications are shut down without warning)
1 Like

Its not within my reach now, but thanks for the solutions so far! I’ll try them on monday

1 Like

Yeah, by default i always turn it off on all machines, i had some problems where the peripherals wouldn’t be detected by Windows if i left it turned on

Too much logic in this thread. Clearly your machine is possessed by some sort of demonic force and needs to be excorised…

…or possibly nuked from orbit, just to be sure.

:grin:

1 Like

Considering the specs i do kind of want to blow it out of orbit!
It has a G41 for Christ sake :rofl: