Even's DIY ‘n stuff blog

Thanks, I followed this tutorial that had about the same steps as your guide.

That resulted me not being able to log into the openwrt router anymore (yes I double checked I used right IP).

I’m still curious to see if I can turn that thing into AP, but for now I’m going to leave it as a back up solution if my pfsense firewall gives up.

Got Ubiquiti access point in the mail yesterday, let’s see if this thing gives me the desired result.

1 Like

Ubiquiti basically gave me exactly what I wanted with one button installer. I currently need to have just one wifi network for the few wireless devices that I own.

2 Likes

So I got myself another working G5 Power Mac. Earlier is original 2003 model, but the one I have here now is the Late 2005 model with dual core 2.0GHz CPU, or so the spec sticker claims. There’s 4 sticks of ram in there but I didn’t look what capacity they are. They don’t seem to be the same brand, so previous owners most likely upgraded the ram at some point.

I stated to take the thing apart so that I could get some of the dust out of there. I want to try and get everything out and cleaned at some point, but for now I just removed some of the fans and GPU.

As you can see, I didn’t manage to get this thing properly cleaned, but it’s bit cleaner now, and front fans don’t have thick dust layer on them anymore. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

G5 didn’t have hard drive installed, so I put one of my extra sata SSD drives in there. Don’t really care about speed right now, I just want to get this thing running.

Everything reassembled.

So next thing is to figure out how to get Void Linux or FreeBSD installed. If I’m correct I should be able to create bootable USB drive, but that probably has to have Apple Partition Map on it?

Anyway, I’ll keep googling.

Oh, and reason why I don’t want to install old version of OSX to this is I want to try and test how this thing could do as a daily computer. You know, just to see how obsolete this is for that purpose.

4 Likes

Idk if it just me but I hate it when stuff has fixed cables, especially if it wouldn’t be a big effort for the manufacturer to add extra power socket to the product.

Well my Marshall practice amp has non-detachable power cable, let’s fix it.

I have few extra C14 sockets from my Apple G5 case mod project. I started by measuring the size of the C14 socket.

I was first planning to put the socket as close to the right edge of the amp as possible, but decided to move it little closer to the middle. Just if you are wondering why I have multiple markings for the hole.

It probably doesn’t matter if the original hole for the cable is plugged or not, but I found some foam that seemed to do the job.

Done. Much better now.

6 Likes

Well, had some extra time during Christmas holidays and my old pedal board had some issues. So let’s make a new one. Old pedal board was put together maybe in an hour, without too much planning. This time I wanted to make a pedal board that would be bit bigger, and easier to move around if I want to take it to guitar lesson, band practice, etc.

Here’s a picture of my old pedal board

So my plan was to make pedal board that can fit into this type of tool case. These have removable dividers inside that I can just simply pull out.

Plywood would probably be better option, but I had some glulam board that I bought for previous project, so I ended using it instead.

I put extra piece of wood to the top edge of the board. This was simply to have more material where to drill, since the board was little too thin to mount the adjustable legs (shown later).

After that I painted the whole thing. Didn’t want to get creative with colours so I used cheapest matte black spray paint I found from the store. And yes, paint job is horrendously uneven. That’s also the plan since now I don’t need to worry about the paintjob getting scratches etc.

Plus I think the uneven paintjob looks kinda nice.

This was the reason why the top edge of the board needs to be thicker. I was debating which type of threaded inserts I should use for the adjustable legs. I ended up with the left one, since it was just easier to get into place.

I accidentally used slightly too large drill bit, so the thread insert didn’t sit tight in the drilled hole. I used some regular wood glue to keep the insert in place. If it fails I can try epoxy glue or something similar.

I also put some rubber thingy’s that are meant to be mounted under the cabinets under the board (no idea what these are called in English). I did this to prevent the board from scratching the floor and also to keep the board from sliding away when stomping on pedals. Without the rubber feet the board would just slide around on smooth floor surfaces.

Last thing to do was to cover the top side with Velcro. I also found some left over cabinet handles from my dad’s spare parts bin so I put one to the top edge of the pedal board. Just to make carrying this thing little easier.

After I got the top surface of the pedal board covered in Velcro I put my pedals back on and, well damn this actually looks much better than I initially expected. :smiley:

Height difference with and without those adjustable cabinet feet.

And to continue the music themed DIY stuff, I also sanded the neck of my electric guitar smooth. It used to have this glossy finish, but I didn’t like it. It made sliding my hand up and down the neck more difficult than it needed to be.

I simply used some 800, 1500 and 2000 grit sanding paper to sand the glossy finish to matte. I finished this by rubbing the neck with kitchen scrubbing sponge.

It’s not perfect, and professional luthier would have done better job, but I’m fine with the result.

And let’s finish the guitar maintenance with fresh set of strings.

6 Likes

Very nice work Even!!!

1 Like