Even Firefox at this point takes privacy as a technical-only problem

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.governance/81gMQeMEL0w

Firefox is planning to add sensitive opt-out data collection with the excuse that the anonymity system is fullproof. Setting aside that the fact that nothing is fullproof they seem to completely ignore the question if is is ethical or good for the brand to have opt-out data collection on a product that prides itself on the fact that users can trust them. Even if the system underneath is 100% anonymized the fact that you are betting that users are passive to get sth out of it makes it anti-privacy (imo).

Additionally this might be a huge issue with the brand image. From here on if someone ever asks about firefox telemetry you have to actually explain differential privacy to him to argue why Firefox respects it. Before you only needed to say “everything sensitive is off by default”.

The devs in the thread do not seem to care about these details but only care about the technical issues. It seems that in their mind if it is technically sound nothing else matters.

I am maybe letting my disappointment get the better of me but with this i feel there are not many arguments left in supporting Firefox compared to other FOSS browsers, if this is implemented.

just use links bro

I do like how the majority of complaints are from Google accounts.

I’ll need to have a further read

It is a google group…Most keep one around for these things…Google is very “smart” in making it always more convenient to use a gmail.

Platform lock-in is profitable? No way.

Considering there opinions on mozillas direction you’d think they’d be all about not using google accounts. Got a feeling privacy isn’t actually that big a deal to a lot of the people replying.

Just because you are using a gmail for a google group it does not mean thats your main e-mail. I do it as well…I use proton for all my things but keep a gmail for using it for professional infrastructure. Many companies use google services thus you are almost forced into it.

You do not know the context on how people are using their tools. I mean you are also dual booting with windows 10 iirc as well. Does this mean that you do not care a bout privacy?

I’m kinda fucked when it comes to Gmail. I care about my privacy but I didn’t know what Google was up to until about 3 years ago maybe? At that point Gmail was my primary email account for just about everything, from school to the multitude of websites where I have it as my contact address. I’m planning on dropping it eventually but who knows when that’ll be.
On top of Gmail I also use a Google account for my phone and youtube so I’ll have to get that phone that’s not made by Google , Apple or Microsoft (yeah you know the one). I guess I could also create a “John doe” account for youtube but then I’d loose all of my subscriptions. I guess I could create a excel sheet off them all and then subscribe one by one but who wants to set aside a couple of hours for that?