EU digital distopia With new copyright law - Unless the parliament stops it

The EU is not blocking sites for the GDPR…The GDPR law actually protects user freedoms. Its the site themselves that stop publishing in the EU cause they do not want to comply with the restrictions.

Do not fall into the trap of generalizing about everything. Restrictions are not always bad…Its about who they protect. The GDPR protects citizens. The Copyright reforms (in its current form) only the publishers.

What you call doomsday articles many people call realistic dangers. And in the case of the copyright reforms i believe these are realistic concerns. Unless you believe that the EFF, the wikimedia foundation and the pirate party are irrational doomsdays. In my opinion this is an exaggeration on your part.

As for the title culturally for me this is a distopia compared to what the open Internet should be. Take it as my opinion.

I still do not see you giving any specific reason why the green/pirate amendments that they supported are counter productive. They propose a clear compromise between protecting IP holders and user rights. Where do you find fault in that.

Also the fact that people are misinformed about the GDPR does not prove anything about the copyright reform. Apples to apples.

Cause they have majority in the parliament so they need to be convinced not the other way around. If you want sth to be set in stone the only thing you need to do is do nothing and try to prove that others exaggerate. If you are the status quo being passive is the best strategy. Most people do not understand the impact this would have in their lives, they see the EU parliament as non important and that has no impact. Thus the ppl holding majorities can pass anything without much resistance. Until the ppl understand that what is going on and decided in the Eu parliament as important and express their opinions and take the elections seriously.

1 Like

Got a second reply. Hopefully they actually have some input into the refinement, and aren’t just in PR mode.

Obviously there will be bias on every side of the debate and that must be remembered.

2 Likes

Ahh…I see.