[Etisalat][UAE] Elife configuration for pfSense

First of all, I would like to say thank you to all the people who have helped me out in configuring pfSense using PPPoE (Homelab discord).

Three weeks of troubleshooting pfSense configuration have finally given it’s fruits. I have tried following the guide here; It was my inspiration to write this guide. Moreover, I’ll try to briefly explain the steps that are needed for users who are using Elife internet connection to configure Pfsense.

Disclaimer:

As you know Etisalat isn’t fond of users trying to build their own network and using 3rd party routers; Since, it makes it harder to their job without the Plug and Play protocol. Anything you follow here will be out of their scope, and they won’t be able to help you much!

This guide only helps you out in connecting the router to etisalat with a wired connection. I haven’t added the wireless part since I was using a switch connected to an AP.

I will assume that you already installed, and configured the LAN interfaces in the command line interface of pfSense.

1. If you’d like to change your new router’s IP through CLi, go ahead and type in 2, which corresponds to “Set interface(s) IP Address” . It will then display your interfaces that are configured by default; you will choose “LAN” to edit LAN setting. You can then add your preferred network network IP ( I chose 10.0.1.1) and for the prefix It was 24 since this is the most used for home!

Choose to use DHCP and also don’t let it use http for the WebUI ( You won’t be able to access it at all if you chose it)

Now you can login through the web GUI interface with the new IP.

(If your cable is connected directly, you will not have any problems at all. If you can’t access the WebUI; try using another browser)

2. You will be greeted by the pfSense login page. The default username is “admin” and password is “pfsense

3. Using the wizard you will be opted to type in your router’s hostname & domain. ( I have left that as it is). As for DNS servers I chose 1.1.1.1 & 8.8.8.8 and uncheck the option for “Override DNS”. Etisalat DNS servers might keep the WAN link down. Click the “Next” button.

4. Time server configuration. Choose your city and you’re good to go.
Click the “Next” button.

5. This is the most important step! “Configure the WAN interface”.
Choose PPPoE from the drop-down menu, and scroll down until you see the “Username” & “Password” textboxes. You will fill them with the username and password that etisalat provided you. P.S: it’s on your elife card.
Do not fill in the “PPPoE Provider” textbox; It’ll create a problem for you!
Click the “Next” button. Also, leave Block RFC 1918 Private Networks & Block Bogon Networks checkboxes unchecked. Etisalat has very weird IPs given by PPPoE server.
Click the “Next” button.

6.Configure LAN interface”. Here we’ll be setting up the LAN network. Firstly, Add your Preffered IP that your router use in LAN IP Address and choose the Subnet mask/prefix in Subnet Mask from the drop-down menu.
Click the “Next” button.

7. Setting up admin Password for the WebUI. Just change the password to your preffered one. You know the drill :slight_smile:

8. Reload the configuration, and you are good to go!

If the link is up, try going to Diagnostics–>Ping–>Google.com if it works then Hurraaay!! You have finally set up pfSense!

I hope this guide has helped you in setting up pfSense. It’s my first time writing up a guide so forgive me for my bad formatting. if you have any questions/issues related to the configuration; please do not hesitate to leave a comment or DM here. Thank you for your patience, and have a great day!