EtherWan Network Equipment!

Hello All!

I was recently at a local conference for security and hard infrastructure (wiring and such) , and I heard from a colleague about EtherWan. I had never heard of this brand before, and I like to think of myself as familiar with most of the switch/network market. From my understanding it sounds like they have a pretty decent product catalog (especially with switches), with SD Wan functionality, and even some radio back haul offerings. This seems really impressive and very cool! I am a network operator who works in this field and I love to see increased competition and market options. So I am curious to learn more! It’d be great to hear from others their experiences and knowledge of the brand and its products.

I’ll do my best to share updates on my end as I learn more and maybe even get one in for testing.

i have not heard of them either. The information from EtherWan website makes them appear to be more of an industrial controller company. Equipment used in controlling traffic cams, traffic lights, and some remote power station sites. The companies certification include taa-compliant which is a joke ( The Trade Agreement Act is a law that was passed for the purpose of making international trade more open and fair.) If you’re not familiar with the TAA, these rules for compliance may seem very complicated. Fortunately, this isn’t the case. All it really means is that you cannot sell the government a product that has been manufactured in a country not covered by the TAA. Prohibited countries include:
China
Russia
India

Ethernet Extenders in Russian

The new generation of Ethernet Extenders runs Ethernet on copper wire much longer distance than ever. Most importantly, it provides POWER over the link.

but my favorite part is this right off the company news page so no I would not trust them,

hold on i thought you could not sale to Russia per taa yes i know that was posted in 2014 but that is what i mean (Joke)

NEMA TS2 for ITS and Transportation
IEC 61850/IEEE 1613 for Utility Substations
EN 50155 for Railway and Train Applications
IEC 61000 for Industrial Automation Applications
ISA 12.12.01 Class 1 Div 2 for Hazardous locations
IEEE 802.3at PoE for Security & Access Control

really not seeing anything real just PR fluff.

2 Likes

Tell us more, what kind of networks do you work with / in what market segment?

Well with this crowd that may not have been the best choice of words lol but I work for a MSP operating small/medium client networks. They range from simple single switch networks, to more complex multi-campus “larger” networks with data center and other off prem connections/resources. Mainly using Unifi at the present moment due to their cost and current feature set. However there is concern over what they may or may not do next regarding their non cloud connected frameworks. An Example is like Unifi Protect needing the dedicated appliance and a Unifi account to setup and get the most out of. TP Link is building a competing solution that looks potentially really good, and there’s some others sprouting up too. I was hoping this may be one, but from what @ferg47188 said, ya it looks not so much like any of what I was hoping for…haha Did some further digging and looking around and ya there just seems to be a lot of “PR fluff” as said.

Appreciate y’alls thoughts and inputs, maybe something else cool will pop up in this market segment.

I don’t really get what people mean when they say SDN or SD-WAN. In my mind: “of course one’d have software producing the network configuration”, so I just like to ask and hear what the deal is.

It sounded like you may specialize in construction or marine or mining or factories, (on the account of cables/hard infra from first post) or any one of the markets where people don’t have network experts on site and yet still expect to move, grow and reconfigure their networks all the time.

1 Like

To put SDN in layman’s terms. SDN is used to shift control from vendors to operators, but ultimately, it is about shifting control from vendors to operators to users. That’s the long-term goal, inspired by what commodity servers and open source software did for the computing industry.

in other words Cisco charges a license fee for there routers and some switches. This gets a rid of that model. This is mainly used in network transport but can be used in different industries aka data centers. ATT is very invested in the technology and they are using it to automate the provisioning and insulation of service of the network. In other words customer uses a website to order a service from ATT and the service get designed without any human interaction. The ideal is to keep the price low for the install but the carrier hardly ever passes that savings to the customer. fewer employee less cost just another way to automate your job. of course this only works if the company has dedicated fiber facilities running to all its customers. This is a very good write up about the ideal.

https//sdn.systemsapproach.org/index.html

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.