Epic vs Apple

Lol. The Anti-EPIC crowd here are so Anti-EPIC that “WTF I love EULA now” is going to be the common response I think…

2 Likes

Me neither. Apple is a big boy who can take a few sucker punches, but what about if some one would direct something like this to single individual? Tbh my problem is more how the online discourse in general is getting more hostile, toxic and outright dirty, and how it feels to be more common to use the angry mob to drive your agenda.

2 Likes

Super stores do rent out spaces to other companies, like small optometrists, or coblers, or similar, within the larger superstore place.
The small store pays rent, but decides their own prices etc.

Not too bad a comparison, but I don’t see apple allowing 3rd party stores.

2 Likes

If windows started forcing S mode on everyone with no option to disable or Android didn’t allow other app stores people would be up in arms about it but I guess apple gets a pass because it’s apple?

There’s no denying the size of apples userbase. The comments about “go make your own phone/os” are not seeing the whole picture here I think.

6 Likes

To sell in Walmart you have to pay their fee. They paid for the buildings, the branding, the staff, and technology, you can’t just pop your own shop in the store for free.

It’s not a perfect analogy.

Thats the thing, the 30% is the rent as I see it.

They should be able to do so if they want to. It’s their product

1 Like

I’m not gonna get off into the weeds about Walmart. It’s a whole other animal.

2 Likes

Probably because it’s EPIC vs Apple. You’re not supposed to like EPIC or side with EPIC or say or do anything that appears in favor of EPIC.

Black Brand Bad.

1 Like

Much like with Apple, Walmart is another place I vote with my wallet and never go to :upside_down_face:

1 Like

There’s no denying the userbase of apple products. Thankfully they aren’t the only game in town. For a company like EPIC though, that’s probably not an insignificant part of their bottom line.

1 Like

How about Amazon, and 3rd party sellers?

1 Like

What about it?

1 Like

Nevermind.
Was thinking about them because they do all the 1st party stuff for their 3rd party sellers, and take a fee/ percentage.

Amazon do all the lifting and moving though, whereas app developers do the hard work

1 Like

I actually like the way apples system is built. Its not for everyone, there are other choices if I didn’t want to use it. Thats fundamentally the issue and I think the issue Apple is leaning on as well. Its their platform.

Epic do exactly the same as Apple in this regard. If Microsoft wanted to lock down Windows further, they can, same for Google (watch out when they finally dump andoird). Anyone saying its one way for apple but not applying the same to others would be in the wrong in that view I think.

And that’s the thing. If apple were the only game in town, id completely agree that the company may have an unfair advantage that they may be abusing, but that doesn’t seem to be what Epic is arguing, and even if they did, its clearly not true.

What I don’t get is if epic lose, it doesn’t change anything, they wont be in a good position, they’ll have revenue, and lost a lot of court fees, not to mention solidified the position that they were in the wrong because of how they acted. the court of public opinion on this doesn’t even seem to necessarily be in their favour either.

I’m fairly confident they intend to lose this case. They’re either looking to set precedent for later legal battles or maybe you guys are right an Tim is off the deep end. I guess we can only wait and see.

Seems like the way to go.
If they want total control and all the options, you gotta make and own the platform.

But that seems highly unlikely to me.

Aren’t fortnite free to play anyway? What are they buying in app? Skins, dance moves?

Yeah im wondering the same.

I understand the social media campaign, they’re trying to gather the public support. But the legal information so far seems weak. Right fro the get go. Who in their right mind lets their CEO handling a legal issue like that? :man_shrugging: Like you said, I wonder if its deliberate.

But it makes me wonder what the war is if the goal is to lose the battle. Public support doesn’t matter, and let be honest, they’re just a game company. Thats not to diminish their success, but it limits their public support. Maybe they plan to go down the game streaming route… but this case doesn’t matter then, losing it doesn’t gain them anything for that.

So I don’t know.

Its interesting though, the social media stuff seems to be coming from Tim Sweeney not Epic, the poor email response was from Tim not epic.

He seem on an all out personal crusade, rather than a company legal battle… I’ll be honest, if they lose, I hope Sweeney has a controlling share in the company so they don’t kick him out.

edit: I was just looking to see where the primary social response was coming from from Epic. Its Tim himself rather than Epic. He’s continuing today.

Again, these kind of tweets may be seen as an attack in an attempt to gain notoriety and publicity for Tim and Epic, and courts may consider that in part of deciding a ruling if they believe the court case was made in part for publicity.

2 Likes

This exactly. I think its all IAP for items. They sell loot boxes as well (still?) which I believe is also against Apples terms so they wouldn’t even be able to sell everything even if they wanted to. their own store would essentially bypass those rules as well allowing them to sell loot boxes to players (or lets face it, children). Most countries are starting to consider loot boxes as gambling now as well. And it get it. more money for them, they can permanently store credit cards, take purchases without the controls on Apple Pay. Do what they want.

Can’t imagine tweenagers twitter support will help them much in the long run.

My take.

Making it all the more stupid, imo.

I understand Apple taking a cut on transactions. If you invest on making a platform for something, you want to make money on it. And keeping control over the os.

Giving a 3rd party app store and its apps free access to the lowest level of the OS sounds like qc and security troubles down the line.

I kind of understand the Idea that Apple charges more so is more secure, and it is, but Android isn’t That bad with it’s side loaded apps or whatever?
For sure not as good, but good enough?
And some Android devices are Apple prices…