Enterprise HP Server Log & First Post

Hey everyone, This is my first post here. I wanted to document my experience playing around with an old enterprise server and I felt like this is the best place to do so. it also gives me an excuse to officially join the community by contributing. I hope to gain some insight to my projects with your feedback so feel free to offer corrective advice or new ideas!

Here is a peek into the system specs(Upgrades to come)

1 Like

What are your plans for the server?

Well currently I'm using it for storage, but I plan on running some self hosted services. My plans are not set in stone, it's essentially just a big learning opportunity.

Now the fun begins! :slight_smile:
It's a blast learning all this stuff. Personally I've got selfhosted media server, podcatcher, and nextcloud instance, and a VPN setup to get back into the network once I'm outside. Runs all through a free domain from freenom.com. Pretty fun learning it all, sometimes a pain but still good.

2 processors and 4GB RAM?
LOL what a joke.

Not worth the cost of power, heat, noise, space, or trouble. This is why virtual machines were invented; you can have a box to screw around with that isn't a complete waste of resources.

These specs are are just what was included with my purchase, upgrades are coming. You are right, there are much better solutions to what I'm wanting if efficiency was a concern but its not really at all and i got this machine for almost nothing..

1 Like

Yeah I'm excited to do a bunch of stuff with it. It's such a cool piece of equipment. I printed out the original manual for the machine and spiral bound it so I have a reference for dealing with HP's proprietary stuff. I was originally going to put FREENAS on it but the raid controller was throwing a wrench in my plan, I might be wrong but I determined that the solution to that was to get a SAS HBA so the drives could all be interacted with individually. For now I'm using windows server until I get that card.

paid too much

Well good thing you don't have to deal with any of it.