Engineering and Patenting an Engine

Hey people.

Before I start with the subject I will put 3 important disclaimers ahead.

• I am not an engineer
  • I do not have an engineering diploma
  • I do not have any prior experience in the field

If you are bothered by that and wish to slam me for it, you can completely skip this post.

With that out of the way, let’s start.

I’ve designed (not engineered) a whole new internal combustion engine. In theory it has many advantages over the existing int. comb. engines, mainly it’s efficiency, reliability and form factor. The issue is I do not know how to proceed.

As I’ve stated earlier I am not an engineer and I can’t test any of the claims. I don’t have any funding for engineering, building and testing it either. Without that, I can’t try and patent it.

I’ve been thinking of approaching the “big brand names” in the industry, to ask for their help in engineering and testing it.
The thing I’m afraid of is that if I do, and if my idea works as intended, it will just get stolen and patented by them.

Do you have any insight on the “industry process” or suggestions on how I should proceed?

=====================================================
Replying to some comments / questions before they are posted:

C: Automakers are spending billions of dollars on engine R&D, you can’t compete with that.
R: Don’t belittle and kill the little guy and his ideas, eh? If researched properly they could change the world.

Q: Have you calculated/tested [insert the equation/theorem here] in your engine? How could you know that it works.
A: I haven’t and I don’t. As I’ve stated above.

Q: Can you share some more specifics on the engine design?
A: Sorry, but no, for obvious reasons.

Get a design patent and a utility patent. Worry about if it will work later.

At least, this is what I assume all the big companies do.

Also make sure that your design does not interfere with anyone’s patent.

3 Likes

You’re really going to want to either test the idea out or have somebody (an engineer) you trust look over the design to see if it is feasible as-is. For better or for worse patents can be pretty cut and dry, so even some seemingly minor changes can get around a patent.

A patent agent or patent attorney will be helpful if one doesn’t have prior patent experience. They’re trained in formatting and wording the patent so it’s more protective of the owner than if some rando put it together. An attorney will also be versed in protecting patents in court, but will most likely be more expensive than an agent.

2 Likes

Or patent it, then sell /lease rights of it to a big automaker, on the provision they take OP on as a designer of the project?

1 Like

I see. I’ve already been looking for anything similar, but I’ve found nothing so far.

I think I’ll try discussing it with an engineer first. That seems like a good idea. Tho’ I’m thinking more and more about asking them to sign some sort of NDA before showing anything.

I would see a patent lawyer.
and I would start using a landline phone :slight_smile:

the 1-800-invent stuff on tv is all a scam

I’m more of a face-to-face type of guy :smile:

1 Like