Enermax Liqtech TR4 II

Hello.

Just saw Wendell’s latest video, in it he talks a little about the Enermax TR4 CPU cooler.
I just recently had to trow my first gen Enermax cooler in the bin because of corrosion so am looking for a new cooler.
This might be to early to ask since the Gen 2 has not been on the market for long but do any one know if Enermax has acknowledge the faulty Gen 1 and fixed the problem in the Gen 2?

Don’t want to end up with the same problem in a couple of months. :wink:

I believe he said that they have and did fix the issues.

They will replace it if you still have it. So far the first one is good?

1 Like

A few people have contacted Enermax and they said the issue has been fixed.

It wasn’t all of the Gen 1s either. There was just one run apparently that had the issues.

Okay that sounds good, makes me more at ease for when i find one for sale here in Denmark.

Thanks for the answer.

As the nerd i am i was to curious so i opened it up to see what kind of damage it had.
The fluid was beyond disgusting and the block was totally gunked.
So i ended up sending it off for recycling.
This was after around 4 -5 months of usage.

I don’t want to order another Gen 1 because i don’t want to take the chance of getting an old unit that might break so getting a Gen 2 will be my buy. :slight_smile:

Btw. keep it up with the great videos here on Level 1, you guys do an awesome job!

So, I just bought a Liqtech TR4 II, for my 1920x.

I know they have problems with the fluid and intend to drain it and replace the fluid. Knowing full well that will void replacement. I just really like the all in one aspect, and don’t want to do a custom loop, even though modding it will involve work etc…

I will probably buy another broken one for parts etc… While I am modding things, I did have one question. When mixing metals is it better to reduce the aluminum or minimize the copper. In the TR4 pump and cold plate, there is aluminium that houses the pump (it appears from some vids on youtube). Would replacing the Radiator with a full copper one reduce corrosion over time (the best anti corosive fluid is still not 100%), or would the added copper make the pump block corrode faster? Or will there be no change, all other things being equal?

Something odd is going on with these:

1 Like

The version 2 is just as bad, i actually bought one after the first one died and last month it died as well in the same way. Meanwhile the original NZXT x62 i had to begin with is still running strong.
So pretty much avoid Enermax products!

Only reason i didn’t write about it here is because i had forgotten i had made this thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

One of the very reasons why i personally prefer to stick with,
with good old aircooling.
I think that issues like this could basically happen to any Close loop system pretty much.
I think that the issue might actually lay with the said fluid they use.

Decent Aircooler like Noctua dual towers perform pretty well compaired to most clc’s.
And will have less issues generally.

3 Likes

Watercooling is a gimmick IMO. Sure it looks cool, but it’s entirely unnecessary, less reliable than aircooling to the point of being a potential danger to the rest of the PC and on top of that it’s more expensive. Why even bother?

1 Like

My Gen 2 is already failing. 60C idle temps… Bought a Cooler Master ML360 TR4 to replace it. I’ll be installing it later.

Edit: I would have gone air, but the O11s are not large tower cooler friendly.

1 Like

Or with using aluminium and copper in the loop.

1 Like

I went with liquid simply because the only air cooler i could find at the time was the Noctua one (can’t remember name of it).
Sadly it is so large it will block the first PCI slot for GFX card use on my Asus board.
I have liquid on my secondary computer as well because there is no room in the case for air cooling at all (mini-itx)

But lets be honest, liquid works well in general and i wouldn’t call it a gimmick.
I have not had problems with any other product than Enermax.
While i do prefer air coolers they tend to be large beasts if you want great cooling.

I’m actually wondering if they hose material is not perhaps affected in combination with the fluid.

I’m not seeing too much indicative of Aluminium radiator damage since Galvanic corrosion, causes the Al to break down not the Copper. In the presence of copper Alumimium is a sacrificial anode and becomes susceptible to corrosion, aluminium would then deposit into the fluid (but it does not look yellow)

1 Like

Same as what I suspect.

Yeah unfortunately big aircoolers don´t always fit in every case,
like itx builds etc.

That’s the maddening thing about the O11. It can fit E-ATX boards, but no tower coolers of merit. Not even that air edition. When it came out though, I wanted it no matter what, lol.

Sorry to revive a smei-old thread here, but has anyone else noticing issues with the TR4 II from Enermax? I replaced a Noctua U14S air cooler on my 1950x with a 360 TR4 II from Enermax, and it was great at first, but if I’m not mistaken, temps are starting to climb, and the fans keep revving up to compensate. I would gladly swap my Noctua cooler back in, but I don’t like how it blocked the top PCIe slot on my ROG Zenith Extreme motherboard. Any idea if having graphics card not in top slot is worth the CPU temps?

It’s a defective product IMO. They just sent me my 4th one and I don’t intend to use it. I even said I didn’t want a replacement. They last for about 6 months or less, then you’re idling at 60C.

I switched to the Cooler Master ML360 until I move to another case and can switch to air.