[Ended] What would you do with a TerraMaster NAS?

I have 6 external hard drives, I would put 5 of those in the NAS and not have to mess around with external power-bricks and ridiculously short USB-cables anymore. :slight_smile:

move off of the cloud!

Help my brother properly backup his DVD and Blu-ray collection that he lost when his last external hard drive died.

I’d try to install Proxmox and have PfSense with network passthrough, and TrueNAS with disk passthrough. I like a challenge :slight_smile:

Fill it with all the Husky :snowflake: :dog: photos and videos in the whole wide world :earth_americas: for my lovely wife :star_struck:

Here is the list of things I want to test, 1. Turn it into a Synology DSM NAS 2. Hackintosh NAS edition lol 3. Truenas box 10TB drives and Z0 aka Raid 0 the drives why because i can and if my data blows up oh well 4. Want to speed test it against my custom truenas box where I have 6 port lagg interface vs 10 TB nic I really want something to make use of the 10G uplink interfaces on my cisco switch i fixed from the garbage. I normally don’t do the whole you tube give away thing but it from Wendell so it could of been random piece of scrap metal and I be interested in getting it why because well only tech youtuber who does the content I like.

Since the wife is changing her phone from the pixel family she will loose the unlimited storage on google photos and is currently looking for an alternative.
So I would use it as a project together with the wife in order to setup her first NAS to store photos and movies.

2 Likes

I would finally ditch my Dropbox account and instead setup a self-hosted cloud drive; I’d fill this NAS with HDDs and leave it at my parents’ house, and setup another NAS at my house. Would love to have full control over my cloud data and no monthly fees for storage!

I will definitely try to make both a nas and a pfsense router but do it via containers so I can isolate both of the OSs.

I want to try my hand at running some VMs and containers on it. Then I’d use it to actually back up my data instead of having it across multiple external hard drives.

1 Like

I’d get a good night’s sleep! I recently set up a rack server for storage in my small studio try practice ZFS. Having a functional NAS is amazing but came at the cost of a good chunk of my sleep. Just the PSU fans in idle can’t be ignored. The form factor and utility to noise ratio (UNR) would be a great improvement compared to my current setup :slight_smile:

(Same comment on YT)

I will put arch on it and use as a fileserver.

I’d use it as a backup device for all of the PCs on my network as well as a Plex server. So nothing exciting lol

I have DIY a NAS with 2 HDD and a raspberry pi 3, but the performance is not great and I have reliability concerns. So I am not really using it. With this I would have a NAS that I could trust. I would also like try Nextcloud, so that would be a good opportunity.

1 Like

Offsite backups and onsite storage.

I have a NAS at my parent’s house that’s hosting all my data, but an offsite backup would be ideal. Plus some more onsite storage for something like a kubernetes cluster would be nice.

I would use it as a lab server for learning networking and programming

This would replace the DNS-323 running Alt-f that I just lost 2 weeks ago due to a teenager and a drink… though no Data loss, i think
Thanks for the give away - Good Luck to ALL !

I’m currently redoing my storage architecture. This NAS sounds very interesting to use as a Proxmox Backup Server host. Basic, but very capable. Or even as a Ceph node in my current Proxmox cluster, just to add more fast 10GBit storage, for Ceph you’d hardly need the CPU to saturate the link in my experience.

I would use it as media NAS for Plex. I just bought 4 new hard drives on Black Friday and need something to put them in.

U’re lucky :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
Mine is a dual core a10. Too
In a hp case