[Ended] What would you do with a TerraMaster NAS?

I’d use it as a Nas. If it can handle it, I’ll also use it for pihole or VNP server so I can connect to my nas from my phone when I need a private connection.

Use it as storage/backup and use it to learn as I have never owned a NAS before.

I would most definitely chug 5x10tb in it. I’ll use one quarter of it to spin up a wordpress site and have that mirrored filling up half the space. I’d then follow it up with mirroring that half onto the other half for properly backed up backups (laughing in the face of bit rot).

Or I dunno, maybe it would replace my rapidly ageing plex server so I can donate it to my mother to save her from only watching Jeopardy and cat videos on youtube.

I run a recording studio and do lots of music videos as well. I would use it for Davinci Resolve video storage.

I would replace my failed synology nas for data backup and some basic network wide ad-blocking. But before I did that I would play with the board using different OS’es and such to satisfy my curiosity.

I would use it to upgrade from my struggling Pi 3 that is bottlenecked so much by IO. I’d probably use it as an excuse to play with BSD but I might just put proxmox on it and containerise some of the stuff my Pi does.

I would use it for Nextcloud

This would be super fun to add to my homelab and setup as a storage solution as well as a backup solution to replicate to the cloud.

“Because for now I have 2 options If I want to backup my data. Win this NAS or NSA…”
Jokes aside would be pretty sick to win this NAS to backup locally and then to the cloud my files and also run a Plex Server.

Off-site backup!

I would either setup linux on it for docker, nextcloud, etc… or since I happen to have a spare so-dimm lying around I’d try out FreeNAS/TrueNAS, plus I could really use some extra space to backup my parent’s computers.

If it makes it any easier, here’s a link to my YT comment.

Set it up as a backup for my parents. Particularly my Dad’s photos.
If I can convince them to learn something other than Netflix then probably Plex too.

I would also trade them a bit of space on my NAS so we can be each other’s offsite backups.

Comment over on Youtube is by Superhobo40 because someone stole my normal username here :slight_smile:

I’d replace my rpi3b with openmediavault on it. The rp3b is not a good solution for a NAS.

Backups for the whole home! My family is super bad about even just plugging in the external drives, so doing everything over wifi would be super hand. Could the USB ports on the back be used to make periodic copies of the volume to keep a copy at a friends for off-site safety?

I think it looks like a nice solution for media storage so that my Home Assistant network can stay separate from my internet connected network. I want to have access to my media in Home Assistant to use its native media browser, as well as make various data it generates accessible from the main internet connected network. Something similar to the setup in the Synology surveillance station video, but so that all of my “smart” devices can stay lobotomized.

Since I’m from Brazil and tech stuff is pretty expensive around here, I would save a reasonable amount of money. Also, since I’m from Brazil, I really want to set it up with the password ‘senha’.

I’d finally have a space to backup my data. Store high quality music files which take up so much space. Not to mention, I could finally have a platform to begin a 24 hour surveillance project for home security.

I would use it as: samba Nas, place to save clonezilla backups, an always on syncthing node. Maybe a matrix server, maybe email.

I would use it for a media server and image backup space for my PCs.

I would populate it with 4tb drives in raid 6 and use it for backups and as a plex server.