Emulation / Retro Games

Since my GPU is currently being RMAed (round 3), I've been playing a bunch of Emulators lately. Thought I'd like to get a thread up for discussion of what retro games we're all playing right now, weather it's on the original system or through emulation and discuss settings, software, performance, hardware and whatever else you can think of.

I'm currently doing a second playthrough of Mother 2/Earthbound (SNES Emulated with Higan), fist playthrough of Mother 3 (GBA Emulated with VBA-M). I also casually play Melee and Project M 3.6b with Dolphin. Using a Gamecube controller with the $15 4 port Mayflash WiiU adapter.

I'm suprised how well Dolphin runs with the iGPU on the 3570k. I mean it is a very CPU bound program, but still it locks 60 fps in both Melee and PM at default resolution and locks 60 during gameplay at upscaled 720p (menu performance isn't too hot)

Toss any suggestions of games I should try out. I'm always looking for a few Retro games I missed out on.

When I feel like retro games I usually end up playing Another World, Flashback, Cannon Fodder or Super Frog. Occasionally Alien Breed '92, but that still scares me :-)

I was looking to install Dolphin today but didn't know which version as the latest stable release is old.

I just recently started replaying A Link to the Past on my SNES also have a project involving the SNES that I might post progress of on the forms.
Also using a CRT for the game

I just compiled the latest version from their repo b/c the version in the Arch Linux repos was kinda old. I usually just run the latest build, seems to have the most bug fixes and performance fixes. They put out precompiled binaries pretty regularly if you want to go that route also.

Wish I had a CRT to play on, but you take what youcan get. They don't look terrible on LCD, at least once you play with some of the emulator settings for scanlines and such. That seems to help a little bit.
I've never played the originals on CRTs so I don't even know what their supposed to look like, so I'm probably a bad judge of that one.

Please do, I always look forward to people doing cool projects on here, especially ones involving Retro systems.

1 Like

Digimon World.

Goemon's Great Adventure for the n64 was pretty good. Megaman X 1-3(snes). Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles(GCN).

Comix Zone (Megadrive) if you want a beat 'em up, Paladin Quest (SNES) if you want a unique RPG experience, Ristar (Megadrive) because it's a somewhat hidden gem and Phantasy Star IV (Megadrive) because I think it holds up really well as an RPG.

If you see one at like a yard sale definitely pick it up it will be well' worth it!
and as for my project sure I'll post, I've just been hesitant because I saw someone else doing the same thing on here and i didn't want to steal his thunder. lol

Any chance it was the guy stuffing a pc inside his NES? IMO I don't think you'd be stealing his thunder, since you'd probably be approaching it in different ways with different goals.

I don't know if I have the deskspace for one, kinda maxed out with two 23in 1080p monitors right now, but I doubt I'd be able to pass on one if it was dirt cheap.

I'lll give these a shot, thanks.

any who
here is the topic if you wanna see
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/super-nintendo-emulation-system-snes-pc/84203

Been trying to play Twilight Princess with Dolphin actually. Not working so great. Also DK64 with Project 64.

pcsx2 has made alot of progress
i love my armored core series,
it used to run at 5-10fps emulated,
but the updates from the start of last year have made it operate perfectly.

ive finally been able to put my ps2 away on a shelf.

and dont forget to replay dragon quest VIII journey of the cursed king

there's particylar dolphin features that mess up the game. Don't use 16:9 hack. Also make sure the game uses your ram instead of your gpu's memory. There's an option for that. I forgot what else you gotta do. I had a super hard time getting it right.

1 Like

I love how I popped in my Kingdom Hearts 2 disk from a long time ago.. And the texture's hold candle up to today's games. It looked like a modern game on 1080p. Lacking some post processing and shadows, of course.

if you dick with the settings,
like in dolphin, in the engine, you can add aa and post processing and even render the game at higher than normal resolutions

Wasn't using the hack, haven't run across the latter option. Using the GCN version, btw. Silly wii port was silly.

Huh..
Started digging through the latest version, and can't find it anymore. The game is a huge pain to run regardless.

In dungeons everything works. In the field... oh my aching head.

If i get mine to work it starts to randomly fast forward and slow down. It's technically playable, but I can't put up with it.