Email Server?

Big companies can and do get blacknon-color-specific-listed. They just know how to track down where/who is blocking and contract them

@thro So yes maybe creating a mail server was not the best way to “learn linux” lol as I will be getting into much much more. now I am thinking that I am going to follow @SgtAwesomesauce script method at first. Then depending on how that goes I may follow the write up that was done by @ro55mo

I don’t see this as something that I am going to keep up with. I think I will be happy with getting it up and being able to send out and receive a few emails. I do not plan on relying on it for anything important.

I work for a 1.5 billion dollar annual turnover company, we currently (and did for years) run our own SMTP server, but we’re shifting more and more to Azure/365 because it simply isn’t worth it.

Its useless busy work to do a job that won’t be as effective as just paying Microsoft (or google, or whoever) to do it. There are far more beneficial uses of IT’s limited available time here than that.

To do secure smtp you need certs, yes but they do not stop you getting blacklisted - anyone can get a cert, just pay money. Not being blacklisted means complying with ever changing anti-spam measures and ensuring your server is not abused, again via mitigating an ever-changing set of problems in SMTP. And if you do get blacklisted, some of the lists can be assholes to deal with. Anti-spam peeps tend to be at the end of their tether at the best of times.

By all means, set one up to understand how the basics work (which are relatively simple and will help you understand/troubleshoot mail issues in the future), but if you want reliable hassle free email delivery it just isn’t worth it to do it yourself. :slight_smile:

If its just for novelty domains to use as a spam bucket for vendor spam, all good…

1 Like

For production use, there’s Office 365 Exchange Online. For the price it’s worth it. Aliases are free if you want sales@ info@ support@ ect.

1 Like

Friends don’t let friends use exchange.

7 Likes

Exchange Server perhaps.

Could always use Zoho, their privacy policy easy enough to read that you know what you’re getting into.

Ehh, I don’t like the exchange protocol on principal. Basically requires you to use outlook if you want to interact with it properly.

I have one inbox connected to neomutt that’s on an exchange server. native IMAP connection, but it still constantly fucks up. You’d think that Microsoft would get their shit together one of these years.

1 Like

Haven’t seen anything about Mailu. I’m a total mail server noob and got tasked with migrating my company’s decrepit old POS running Ubuntu 6 (no, I didn’t forget to put a 1 in front of the 6).

That went well enough all things considered. They have a web-based generator to help with setting it all up with docker-compose which is pretty useful. Rspamd and a few other helpful things are included.

Gotta agree with the first response tho - you’ll hate dealing with e-mail servers. We just started moving customer domains over as well and that’s a royal PIA. Once all the dust has settled it should just work from then on out…

Just don’t forget to setup your PTR records… learned that one the hard way.

1 Like

I know it’s like cheating as you said earlier but you should give mailcow dockerized a try! It’s easy to set up, but isn’t a black bloxs (if you know docker of course). For me it’s worth doing it “the easy way” first and then learning from this “reference implementation”.

https://mailcow.github.io/mailcow-dockerized-docs/

1 Like

I agree but often walking through someone’s script is the best way to learn instead trying to piece it all together from search results and man pages (although you should still read the man pages).

2 Likes

ironically I had issues with lukes script and had to read through it to figure out what failed.

10/10 would get blacklisted by microsoft again.

3 Likes

I used his script as my guide.

I setup stuff that i knew, then checked to see what his script did. I dont use ubuntu , so i had wasnt going to directly use his script anyway.

But as i learnt stuff, i created ansible playbooks so I could recreate it in the future (if needed)

2 Likes

Just had to google this seems a powerful way of doing things…aaaanddd down the rabit hole I goooooooo!

1 Like

Well, it recommends using Debian…

I had issues on ubuntu.

Sounds about right. I think he gets something to work once and doesn’t really clean it up or think about other people’s edge cases. Makes sense since he’s willfully jobless and unbeholden to anyone.

1 Like

milter socket error?

same tbh

I fear dealing with this server in the future when something breaks. I will likely tear it all down and sign up for some service instead because its a sisyphean exercise. I have learned a bit from it though. I can see why someone would want to set a server up for the sake of learning.

I don’t remember… I just said fuck it and got on Debian.

I went a little different route, and dedicated a VM to each service.
1 for postfix
1 for dovecot
1 for freeipa ( i dedicated to do this for user management and kerberos if i wanted to use it)
I also created 1 vm for nfs so postfix and dovecot could share /home.

It sounds complex but its so simple. IMO

I dont see how this makes it different or better

Whats the logic here?