[Solved] EFI boot issues after CPU upgrade

Howdy Everyone,

This is a new one for me in my Linux only journey. I bought an 5800X3D after a long time of running my 2700X. To cut to the chase here, I had to update my bios, I followed the steps laid out in this post here and it worked without a hitch, for the most part lol.

After I got all the new hardware installed, I swapped from my Windows drive which I was using for the BIOS updates / EC FW stuff, to my Artix install. However, even after disabling CSM, it will not boot into my artix install unless I boot from the Artix live CD, OR, I copy my /boot/EFI/grub/grubx64.efi to /boot/EFI/microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi

To add to this, windows WAS configured at one time to be formatted for GPT and not MBR, not sure if that changed with windows updates after I used it for the first time in years.

I am currently searching through my own notes since I am pretty sure this is something I encountered a long time ago (6 years?) after I stopped dual booting.

EDIT:

To add I did turn CSM off on my motherboard, I think its likely something here got massively biffed during the mobo updates. I have also turned off secure boot at this point as well.

Not sure if I posted this in the right place either lmfao, I mostly just lurk on all forums and social media honestly.

SOLVED! Figured my issue out, someone with a longer beard and a more profound understanding of the dark arts may have some extra insight to add on what was going on here.

However, all I had to run was:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=grub
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Doing this got grub to show up again when booting, and everything is hunky dory. I removed the /boot/EFI/microsoft junk as well.

CSM and Secure boot are off too, this is on my X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming mobo, works like a charm now.

2 Likes