Editing Rig Setups

So I’m in a bit of a personal dilemma. I have all sorts of hardware to choose from, and honestly could get a pretty powerful setup going if I wanted to, but no real thing to compare it to?

Currently I have an old mac pro that I’m looking to use for an editing rig. On hand I have a GTX970 and an RX480 Nitro+ not doing terribly much. Mostly playing CSGO and Tarkov, so I could use either one in my personal desktop. Currently I have the 970 pulled out to put in the mac, but the 480 might be better? As well I’m looking at using Davinci Resolve for more involved stuff, but have FCP for just basic whatever. I’m not an amazing editor or anything, just levels of actually giving a rip. Is there better things to use?

I’ve seen about Olive on Linux and gave that some thought. Seems it just auto-does the work for you if the client is open? IDK haven’t played with it. But, I have a hacked PS3 on hand and some other fun stuff laying around, and I’m wondering if I could use a POWER chip or something to boost up render times.

The only reason I’m not doing this on my Ryzen based Desktop is I don’t feel like buying Davinci stuff again, nor do I have a backup editor that I’m familiar with. So thats why the mac pro. I’d keep trying with VFIO in linux and set up a VM, but that just decides to not work. It just flat out ignores my hardware completely. Real hardware is a lot easier for me anyways.

Either way, open to ideas. Just looking to make something strong out of what little I have. Its corona, so I don’t have any money. Don’t just post your 8000 USD solution. TY

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.