ECC RAM for Threadripper 1920x & ASRock X399 Taichi combo

Has anyone tried the Crucial CT16G4WFD8266 ECC memory on the Threadripper 1920x and/or the ASRock X399 Taichi board? Or can you recommend a specific ECC RAM part number that is known to work on this specific processor/MB combo? My goal is a stable Windows 10 x64 workstation, not looking for overclocking.

Welcome to the form Matt!

I cannot be of any help here :frowning: I’m still too poor for threadripper.

Thanks for the welcome! I am poor now too, lol. This is my work machine and setting up a new machine takes a lot of hours (compilers, tools, etc…), so it’s actually cheaper long term to start with something fairly zippy then not have to upgrade for several years.

I went ahead and ordered 32GB of those Crucial ECC modules, cross your fingers!

You’ll want 4 DIMMs if you want to get the benefits of quad channel. Might not matter for what you’re doing.

I usually recommend buying the RAM in a kit for TR if possible. Not sure if they do that for ECC. Usually vendors test kits together which means all DIMMs will perform within similar tolerances. Something that’s fairly beneficial for first gen TR.

Finding info on ECC for the 1920x was like searching for Jimmy Hoffa, it’s just nowhere to be found.
There are many people saying ECC works on various setups but nothing specific to this processor. So I grabbed some that was mentioned in one of the level1tech youtube videos that was working on a different Threadripper processor in hopes that it works on this one too.

4x16GB Crucial ECC 2666 (CT16G4WFD8266)

Runnig that at on my X399m Tachi with a 1950x

4 Likes

Timetec Hynix 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz PC4-19200 Unbuffered ECC 1.2V CL17 1Rx8 Single Rank 288 Pin UDIMM Server Memory RAM Module Upgrade (16GB K

These work on a Designare with a 1950X, but it looks like they aren’t sold on Amazon anymore. When I click the link it takes me to a Non ECC DIMM. The ones I recieved are ECC.

1 Like

Edit–> Cool, that’s the same part number I ordered. Much less expensive on Amazon than on Crucial:

I’m typing on my new machine using the Crucial part# linked above, and if I’m understanding this powershell command correctly (Win10 Pro Workstation), then ECC is enabled:

According to this thread, the “6” indicates multi-bit ECC, yay!

On an unrelated note; getting Win10 to install on a RAID volume had a gotcha; older AMD RAID drivers (including the latest posted on the ASRock web site) do not work with the latest Win10 installer, it hangs on loading drivers. The latest drivers on the AMD website work OK (I used version 9.2.0.120).

1 Like

Hello,

Wanted to confirm that CT16G4WFD8266 (8x16Gb =128 Gb ECC ) is working very well with Taichi x399 and Threadripper 1950x (for more than 1 year in fact).
On another topic :
Looking for a new build and 4x32Gb UDIMM DDR4 ECC to pair them (must probably) with Pro WS X570-ACE
Do you know some ?
Thanks,
Cheers ! :wink:

3 Likes

I wanted to get a Threadripper 1920X and ASRock X399 Taichi combo for my server. I currently have ECC Registered memory, would that work?

No, I dont think they will accept registered memory

Do you have a source?

I have a Taichi X399.
It works fine

The support page, lists:

Memory

• Quad Channel DDR4 Memory Technology
  • 8 x DDR4 DIMM Slots
  • Supports DDR4 3600+(OC) / 3200(OC) / 2933(OC) / 2667 / 2400 / 2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory(U-DIMM)
  • Max. capacity of system memory: 128GB*
  • 15ÎĽ Gold Contact in DIMM Slots

unbuffered U-DIMM is non registered.

I would love registered memory, with ECC, but it’s not supported, as far as I know.

I would also like to be corrected.

As far as I know, the CPU needs to have the register edit[ work with the register], to accept registered memory

ThreadRipper PRO was the first TR to support REG ECC. so TR 3xxx PRO would be the first generation to get that accomplished.

:frowning:… Welp, thanks for the quick replies…

Commenting yet again, does it support non-ECC memory as far as you know?

This video: https:// www.youtube. com /watch?v=JbWOPnvMlbM seems to show that it does, but I want to be extra sure before buying a bunch…