so the asrockrack boards can’t do ECC either?
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=B650D4U#Specifications
so the asrockrack boards can’t do ECC either?
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=B650D4U#Specifications
I also have this motherboard and have ECC UDIMMs working. I have this RAM running at 6000mhz and CL34, although I might try to get the timings down to CL32-40-40. I am running Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS also.
When researching this, ASUS claims all B650 and X670 boards will support ECC UDIMMS as long as you have a 7000X series processor. No APUs.
https://zadak.biz/en/product/industrial-product/detail/industrial_dram/ddr5_ecc_udimm_
I am wondering what the state of it is.
ASRock says that this board supports ddr5 ECC in its specs
Ooooh… Considering that is a pretty budget-friendly board made for content creators, that is interesting news indeed. ![]()
Didn’t someone have a big excel sheet of all consumer model boards for AM5? Did that list ECC support? I don’t remember and lost the link…
It doesn’t but most Asus boards do support ECC looking at the support section for each board.
This is probably what you’re looking for:
Is this new? I could swear none of ASRock’s AM5 boards used to mention DDR5 ECC support when I last looked (apart from the ASRock Rack special cases). Now all the ones I’ve had a look at on the website say “Supports DDR5 ECC/non-ECC”.
Great news!
When the ASRock boards first came out, ECC support was also mentioned on the website. Then it got removed—although inconsistently as other files mentioned ECC support. Then it got reinstated on the website.
OK thanks, I definitely missed the first part.
Interestingly the same happened with my AM4 board: ECC was working out of the box with the Ryzen 2400 I bought at the time, then edac-util stopped working when I upgraded the BIOS to drop a 5600x in the socket. And a later BIOS update restored it (at least apparently - I haven’t seen any corrected errors, but I haven’t really tried to cause them).
I figured I’d add a data point. I have an ASRock B650I Lightning WiFi and ECC appears to be working fine. (Is there something I should do to test it in linux?)
Physical Memory Array
Location: System Board Or Motherboard
Use: System Memory
Error Correction Type: Multi-bit ECC
Maximum Capacity: 128 GB
Error Information Handle: 0x000F Number Of Devices: 2
Handle 0x0013, DMI type 17, 92 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x0010
Error Information Handle: 0x0012
Total Width: 72 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 48 GB
Form Factor: DIMM
Set: None
Locator: DIMM 0
Bank Locator: P0 CHANNEL A
Type: DDR5
Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
Speed: 5600 MT/s
Manufacturer: Kingston
Serial Number:
Asset Tag: Not Specified
Part Number: 9965794-036.A00G
Rank: 2
Configured Memory Speed: 5600 MT/s
Minimum Voltage: 1.1 V
Maximum Voltage: 1.1 V
Configured Voltage: 1.1 V
Memory Technology: DRAM
Memory Operating Mode Capability: Volatile memory
Firmware Version: Unknown
Module Manufacturer ID: Bank 2, Hex 0x98
Module Product ID: Unknown
Memory Subsystem Controller Manufacturer ID: Unknown
Memory Subsystem Controller Product ID: Unknown
Non-Volatile Size: None
Volatile Size: 48 GB
Cache Size: None
Logical Size: None
Handle 0x0016, DMI type 17, 92 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x0010
Error Information Handle: 0x0015
Total Width: 72 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 48 GB
Form Factor: DIMM
Set: None
Locator: DIMM 0
Bank Locator: P0 CHANNEL B
Type: DDR5
Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
Speed: 5600 MT/s
Manufacturer: Kingston
Serial Number:
Asset Tag: Not Specified
Part Number: 9965794-036.A00G
Rank: 2
Configured Memory Speed: 5600 MT/s
Minimum Voltage: 1.1 V
Maximum Voltage: 1.1 V
Configured Voltage: 1.1 V
Memory Technology: DRAM
Memory Operating Mode Capability: Volatile memory
Firmware Version: Unknown
Module Manufacturer ID: Bank 2, Hex 0x98
Module Product ID: Unknown
Memory Subsystem Controller Manufacturer ID: Unknown
Memory Subsystem Controller Product ID: Unknown
Non-Volatile Size: None
Volatile Size: 48 GB
Cache Size: None
Logical Size: None
Also, I couldn’t the Gigabyte B650I Aorus Ultra to post at all with ECC UDIMMs. When Gigabyte says they aren’t supported, they really mean it.
Any updates on the new EPIC 4004 series on AM5?
It’s looking like the following manufactures are going to provide AM5 motherboards with properly validated ECC support that can be trusted:
Interestingly ASUS and Asrock are absent from the list.
historically (AM4), MSI hasn’t really put in the necessary hardware ECC support on their consumer boards.
Might only be a thing for the new AM5 Epyc boards.
That’s exactly what I was thinking, but I just found out that MSI has a server division that isn’t differentiated from their consumer division very well.
This AM5 MSI motherboard has onboard E810 25GBe:
https://eps.msi.com/product-overview/D3052GB2N-25G
I just checked AMD specs page for Ryzen 7700x. It officially states it supports ECC memory if the motherboard board also supports. I don’t see EPIC 4004 has different features.
We don’t really need a new cpu. We need a new motherboard line, such as C650/670, W650/670 for workstation and server. Right now, you don’t really know if a motherboard supports ECC without digging through webpages.
This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.