EA banning Linux gamers?

If you are getting banned for it, it’s DRM. If it just doesn’t work that’s a whole other story.

1 Like

eabad

No, that’s not true at all.

If you’re being banned for it, it’s because you tripped their detection system.

Should I be able to write a DLL that contains an aimbot and inject it? Or is that not okay?

Any modifications of the DLLs is not allowed by the license agreement. By buying it, you’re agreeing to it.

Don’t like that don’t buy it.

2 Likes

I disagree. If the system is scanning your system for modifications to the software, that is DRM.

It’s literally in the name, Digital Rights Management. They are enforcing their idea of how you use the software you paid for.

edit:

If you’re only idea of DRM is copy protection, then I guess we will have to agree to disagree. As to the question of checking for aimbots and such, that to me is still DRM.

1 Like

Except you aren’t paying for the software. You’re paying for the service.

So you’re totally okay with people ruining online multi-player in the name of freedom. Got it.

1 Like

I never said I was okay with people cheating, that is a straw man.

I said it was DRM, and if you don’t like it, don’t buy the software.
I then went on to define my view of DRM.

it’s an anti cheat mechanism

if you see this on non multiplayer games feel free to whine about it being (unnecessary) drm, but the only people being banned are those running essentially hacked together unsupported (and more importantly non validated) platforms for MMOs or other competitive multiplayer games.

their environment is running non validated DLLs and the only way to reliably keep up with anti cheat is to whitelist loaded DLLs (and/or check digital signature) while the game is running.

whether you call it DRM or not is kinda irrelevant IMHO. it’s “fair” in my opinion for competitive multiplayer online gaming.

maybe in the future, vendors will check for official proton environments but right now that’s a rapidly moving platform and likely is simply not economically viable.

Change that to “Not raking in ALL THE PROFITS” and we can agree on that point.

I think you’re right that it’d be a small (but nonzero) effort to not ban people for this, but it’s still their choice.

I recognize that when I buy a game, I don’t have access to it on all platforms, unless it advertises that.

2 Likes

That would be nice as Halo MCC runs just fine with proton but multiplayer is disabled due to drm even though the regular version runs just fine.

Though it is still nice of them to still allow online custom multiplayer and campaign so I’m totally fine with waiting.

1 Like

Its repeatedly needing to be updated for every damn version of Proton valve release, never mind what custom or built from source copies of WINE gentoo ricer flag people compile, etc. You can’t just do a white-list for that, it would be impossible to maintain.

Vs. what… checking microsoft’s code signatures on the relevant DLLs, and if they are all signed and nothing else dodgy loaded, then all good? No brainer.

Linux would be like 100,000x the ongoing effort (for 0.1% of the game’s users - running a platform the developer doesn’t even support) vs. just checking code sigs for genuine windows/drivers (which is fairly small) - maybe supplemented with a relatively small white-list.

If you can manage to get a project manager to approve 100,000x the spend on the anti-cheat features for something you don’t even support or care about… i’ll be amazed.

1 Like

Yup, just buy nativ versions or check protondb.
Have a console for the rest and there is hardly anything left you can’t play.

3 Likes

game was specifically designed, coded, and marketed for Windows

Linux users complain that game company is unfair

Linux users use sort of compatibility layer/method to get it working on Linux

the game anti-cheat [which was probably also specifically designed, coded, and marketed for Windows] doesn’t recognise what they’re doing, flags the activity, and they get banned

Linux users complain that game company is unfair

4 Likes