E3-1231 v3 vs FX 8370E for programming and virtualization

I'm going to update my current CPU and mobo (currently intel i5 750) and I'm having some real trouble choosing a new CPU.

I use my computer mostly to do programming but I also run a couple of virtual machines, so I'd like to have a CPU that has an IOMMU (vt-d) that works well with Xen.

My budget is 250€ (for the CPU only) so I was looking at the xeon e3 1231 v3, but the FX 8370E also looks good and is cheaper.

Which one should I buy? Should I wait for some other CPU to come out?

They look like they are pretty even  ... both have their good and their not so good.

the FX is cheaper but the Xeon should drop in your MB ... so I say Xeon

here is a comparison

http://www.game-debate.com/cpu/index.php?pid=2208&pid2=2118&compare=fx-8370e-vs-xeon-e3-1231-v3

Xeon .

Can also be used for gaming :D

Thank you for the response, but I'll have to change MB in any case since my current one has a 1156 socket and does not support vt-d

The LGA 2011-3 Xeons are out now and you can get a 8 core for 400$

I think they are basically on par, with the xeon being more expensive. I would just grab a 8350 for cheap with a decent mobo. It will run games well too, but if you need enthusiast gaming performance get the xeon.

Edit: wendell pointed out that the 8350 is a beast for virtualization.

ouch

Well if you have to buy a motherboard for either, then on cost alone it has to be the 8370, but as pointed out by Homeboy93 the 8350s are cheaper now and perform just as well, at least Wendell likes them for exactly what you are going to do. 

AMD has got a pretty good virtualization standing, and that 8 core will give LGA 2011 a run for it's money.

Perfect combo for you would be the FX8320E / Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0.

The FX 8xxx and Asus M5A99FX are great for virtualization and have vt-d support. I have a FX8320, I often run 2 Linux VMs through VirtualMachine each running different tasks off and on. Even when I  play hours of Warframe or Titanfall I still have my VMs running.

I wouldn't spend the extra money for the FX8370E because it only turbos 300mhz over the FX8320E and its only a 100mhz over on the base clock. There just isn't a $50 performance gain with the FX8370E.

You will also want to grab a decent cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212.

I have to agree with everyone else. I just have a hard time recommending the lower end xeons because of their locked multiplier. An amd fx 8320 or fx 8350 would suit you perfectly.

I have a 8320 OC'd to 4.4GHz on a 990fx board for the exact same needs as you (software developer of 10+ years).  Only thing is I'm running Server 2012 R2 with Hypervisor addin; I currently have four vm's total running on it, two are windows and two are linux.

Have had no issues with any of the vm's or the host system - all are running like a dream.  I had previously tried Xen, ESXi and also ProxMox, (based on Tek youtube upload recently), and everyone of them had given me issues with the Gigabyte 990fx ATX board with either LAN or something else - Win 2k12 R2 has been working flawlessly with no driver headaches out of the box.

I didn't try very much to diagnose the linux based hypervisors as I needed to consolidate some old servers and move development to a new platform asap so couldn't afford too much downtime.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Both support ECC and both support VTd. Your call. If it was going to be a headless server, I would say get the Xeon... but since you will also be using it for programming and stuff-- get the AMD part-- Its better price/performance ratio will pay off. 

Links? im only getting $600's

I'd get the 8350 over the 8370E unless the TDP thing really bugs you. 

^^^second that^^^